Dumaguete Info Search

“If you want to be critical go ahead, that never accomplices anything.”

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by simple mind, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    if that happens, you'll be eating steak and getting p*ss in the pub all day long and couldn't care less because then it'll be cheap and you can afford to do it as often as you like :-). Having not to worry about paying credit cards and house bills lol. And we won't see u in whynot anymore lol

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The Philippines should be thankful we bring our foreign money here and stimulate the economy. They should also be grateful that we allow their citizens to work abroad in our countries at higher wages than they would ever make here. It goes both ways, no? I think we are treated far worse here than filipinos are treated in our countries.

I don't think my country is the best in everything. I think we are number 1 in two categories, military and economy....they just so happen to be the ones that allow you to do pretty much whatever you like. In terms of education, health, happiness, corruption index....not number 1.

3. nice_sherwood

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

Your number 1 in military but economy? I doubt it depends on how you define recession though.

filipinos that have been working in America spent a lot of money just to be able to live there although I agree with you that in some aspects eg foreigners can't own properties in Philippines while a Filipino can if they live in other countries I believe in that point that Philippines is not being fair but there's a reason for that, if the government let it happen, all expats will be moving in Philippines because its cheap then Filipinos will be unfortunately loose the privilege.

Yes you pay higher wages but they're paying taxes and lifestyle is expensive too so it's pretty much balance unless if they were getting high wages plus living like life in Philippines then I must say you have the best of both worlds there.

i don't believe you are treated far less than a human being because if you guys were, then why do you people keep moving in???
    I don't think Filipinos are just total nutcase that they will just give you an attitude for no apparent reason. What you must understand is Filipinos value politeness here and the worst thing you can do to a filo is either raise your voice and start swearing and surely you'll find an angry gorrilla but no Filipino will give you an attitude if your not giving them a bad attitude mind you, Filipinos are labeled as worlds most hospitable people.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Spending tax money at home does not equal cheap booze and steaks. Where I was living last in the US (southern Indiana in the sticks) was very comparable to here, concerning prices. My rent was 350 USD a month for a 2 bedroom, a draft beer was about 50 pesos, rum coke about 70 (with Cpt Morgan not Tanduay), gas was cheaper (I think I figured it to 30 pesos a liter), cigarettes expensive but not oppressive (200 pesos per pack), food was about 30 percent cheaper than here. Unfortunately it was insanely boring, only thing to do was work, drink and watch the corn grow, the women were either obese or a pain in the rear and the cops would pull you over all the time (meaning you can't even have a beer at the pub without getting thrown in jail).

Why I moved here? Lack of laws and inability to enforce the existing ones. Freedom from the government pretty much.

5. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    You may be right, OnlyMichael, the US govts, especially on a State level are often corrupt (look at obama's home state Illinois, for example!).

The US should be more professional, altruistic and free from corruption and nepotism like for instance most all African nations, most of the Caribbean, much of Central and South America, MANY of the SEAN nations (read--the Philipppines). There is never a hint of corruption or "family involvement" in politics in thses places, is there???

In the "real World" , most adults recognize that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts ABSOLUTELY! That does not make it right, only a factor to be dealt with thru Constitutional restraints THAT ARE ENFORCED!

6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not everywhere in the US is expensive, read my previous post. Taxes aren't that high for the low/middle class, we have some of the best tax laws for businesses in the world. Easy to start up a business and you have minimal fees from the government. Our economy was/is hurting (depending on who you ask) but so was almost the entire eurozone. China will, in less than 20 years become the largest economy. No question there. I'm talking about present day though. It is undeniable that the US has the largest economy today.

When I talk about being not being fair I'm talking about price gouging, enforcement of laws (as in only applying certain laws to foreigners), asking for more money on bribes from foreigners (always cheaper to send the gf to buy something or deal with government). This is not the case in the US for the large part. Everyone must follow the same rules, rather you are a foreigner or not. Prices do not change based on the color of your skin (except in rare circumstances.....and they usually get punished harshly for doing so when they are caught).

7. nice_sherwood

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    geez I'd like to live there lol, used to pay $2500 for a 3 bedroom house in Sydney when me and my husband separated.lol

well no matter what country your living in, if you live in America and left the because your not happy there and move to Philippines and STILL not happy i guess you should double check yourself if its the country that had a problem or just you.

its a matter of being contented really no matter how perfect and great a country is but if your not happy, then you will never appreciate the place and will never be happy no matter how many times you have to keep moving to find the perfect country if that really exists though lol

8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think you are referring to the corruption in Chicago. The state governments are no more corrupt than any other countries government, remember that most states are basically a country in terms of population and economy.....even military if you count the national guards.

ALL career politicians EVERYWHERE in the world are corrupt. You simply cannot obtain that amount of power without doing some shady stuff to get there. The higher you go the more likely you are corrupt. The US is no exception to this. YOUR countries are no exception to this.

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I didn't say I wasn't happy there or here. There is no such thing as a utopia. Everywhere has its downfalls. I prefer a nightlife at an affordable price, so I chose the Philippines. If I wanted a family and a safe place to raise my kids I would not be here. I'd go back to watching the corn grow.

10. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    Nice sherwood, it does not appear that any of the expats are unhappy with the Philippines, but instead with some of the anti-foreigner practices (price-gouging, govt. corruption, etc). For the most part, we all have the financial means and physical ability to leave the Philippines and go to Thailand, VietNam, Malayasia, Cambodia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica or Panama just to name a few. Costs in all of these are comparible to the Philippines.

We CHOOSE to be here for a myriad of reasons--just as you choose to remain in Au after separation from your husband.

Since the US has been the focus of the bashing by you, onlymichael and simple mind, let me share some info with you:
    consider the financial contribution that Americans make to the local economy. According to US Dept of State figures there are over 300,000 American living in the Philippines in 2011.
    If we assume that each one spends ONLY $1,200 each month ( a very conservative estimate, to be sure), that is 4.32 BILLION dollars annually, roughly 2% of the Philippines GDP.

All OFW's combined contribute 11.4% of GDP, so when you are bashing other Countries, you may wish to consider the tremendous and positive impact that those Countries have on your Countries’ economy. A combined total of over 13% of your Countries TOTAL revenues "ain't chicken feed"!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.