Dumaguete Info Search

Illegal 20% discount!

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Happy She & Me, Mar 21, 2011.

1. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I’d say if the 20% discount is extended to foreigners why not take it? I'm sure they can have their accountants do the numbers and figure out whether or not including foreigners in this offering is sustainable or perhaps using this can attract more expat retirees into the country. If not, no big deal I'm sure most of us will get by. However it sounds like some of you might be having guilt trips because you feel you’ve got more money than the locals and and therefore feeling the need to pay more for goods and services-------that’s your prerogative and if so it is IMO you DESERVE to pay more but don’t be calling the rest of us wanting to do without the long nose tax cheapskates and not deserving to be here----it’s not about being cheap, it’s about wanting to pay like everybody else, no more, no less. Don’t be thinking that you’ll get more respect from locals when you act like you don’t mind paying more----trust me, most will think exactly the opposite here in the Philippines.

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Well, it's not really so different in the US. Some of us would spend the day looking for work, any work, to put food on our table, while others would spend the day in the line to get food stamps because they feel they are entitled to it. (Those that find work will pay your food bill)

To each their own.

Larry

3. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    I would just like to clarify this statement, i am only taking about people who try to get the 20% discount not about haggling when purchasing something, there is a big difference between the discount and normal "Asian" trading practices.:smile:

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Agreed. If the merchant agrees to give a discount, that is voluntary. FORCING them to is a different story.

Larry

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Agreed. If the merchant agrees to give a discount, that is voluntary. FORCING them to is a different story.

Larry

6. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I've seen some *old people* whine and raise a fuss not getting their Senior Citizen discount, they don't seem to understand the Citizen thing or want to act like just cause they are a Citizen of some random country around the world it entitles them. Its disgraceful to us as foreigners when some act that way helping give us a bad name.

Plus really, I think most of us can afford the extra 10 peso's it might cost.

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
  8. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    But I had twice as long to blow it on woman and booze.....:wink:

9. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    I had a couple of signs on the wall of the last pub I owned in UK.

One said "Credit and discount will be given to all customers aged 99 years and older, provided they are accompanied by both parents".

The other said "In God we trust. Everyone else has to pay cash".

10. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    The sign at Mia's... In god we trust, all else pay cash.

Another one... If you drink to forget, pay in advance!
    Ron