Dumaguete Info Search

Valencia Internet depravation fever

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by charlyB, May 7, 2024.

1. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,124 / 334
    No internet all day on Sunday due to the power grid maintenance schedule now all day today due to MASSIVE vegetation clearing in our area.
    Does anyone remember what we used to do before internet was invented ? :geek:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,383 / 1,261
    Read a book??

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,860 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Play football(soccer), golf. And much more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +424 / 198
    Sunday - Delivering papers 4 a.m. to 8 a.m. Went to Church, dad went to pub, mum cooked dinner. After dinner played board games in crap weather or out in street or on bikes good weather.
    Monday - Friday. School. After school played in Street or local area with friends and neighbours. Fish n chips for dinner on Fridays
    Saturday - A.M. Worked on market stall. P.M. Went to football match

Never short of things to do and never bored. Bring it back!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +2,003 / 1,090
    Fished, hunted, built tree forts and ground forts, shot up entire hoods with pellet guns, camped out. smoked out Prairie Dogs, swam in local rivers, streams, lakes, pools, played hooky a lot, and chased girls with toads and salamanders. Joined Army, traveled, toured on Motor Cycles a lot (not scooters) drive in movies, bar hopping and a whole lot of sleeping around. The good ole days!!! If gadgets and internet disappeared tomorrow, would not miss a thing. Would actually be very happy to see that happen. It's all crap, one giant distraction!

• Like Like x 1
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,556 / 1,017
    I always Marry a young wife, then and now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +249 / 139
    Bought stamps
    Wrote checks
    Wrote letters
    Bought newspapers
    Visited libraries
    Went to Blockbuster
    Went to the record store
    Kept phone numbers on a piece of paper in my wallet
    Found my way using paper maps
    Might have bought a Playboy:bookworm:
    Thought cats were smart

• Like Like x 1
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,617 / 2,893
    This might be off-topic but don't tell the BOSS!

I often wonder if that could happen - the internet becoming unusable due to massive hacking, denial of service, other issues of which I have no idea! It just seems to me to be a combination of some Black Swan event combined with an over-dependence that will shake the World. I think that in many cases we have put all our eggs in one basket and something is going to break. My greatest concern would be the problem of getting money out of my UK banks (difficult enough now) -assuming they can even match deposits to the 'owners' (in single quotes as we don't actually own our own money!) but that could be just one of many major issues. Some problems could be sorted out short-term by backups IF they work (thinking about electrical-magnetic pulses knocking data out as well).

At least governments will control us less!

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
  9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,617 / 2,893
    I know that many members have alternatives for power cuts (including using old car batteries) but we use a low weight 220v 300W portable power station (was Shopee P3598 Oct 2023) with TV, router, laptops all plugged into one extension socket that can be moved from wall socket to Power Station socket in seconds. These are the only things we find essential to keep running but also have JISULiFE fans that last about 24 hours (Shopee P1699 Oct 2023) as well as other little fans with lights. Works well for short power cuts because of how quickly we can put the internet back on. Preferable to pocket wifi (and no promo to buy which often doesn't work anyway - but obviously a bigger item).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,860 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have two alternatives for brownouts. my old solar batteries can work for weeks with the WIFI and also a 3.3 KW solar array, 48v lithium power wall 6kwh and 5kw hybrid inverter.

• Like Like x 1