Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Internet in Valencia

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by MichaelS, Apr 26, 2017.

1. starreggie

starreggie DI Junior Member

Web Designer
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I live in main Valencia area and the two internet providers here are Globe and PLDT. For Globe I have upto 7Mbps dl and 1 Mbps ul speed with a data limit of 80g per month. This is an old plan but Globe has different packages now. For PLDT, am not sure what options they have for residential areas in Valencia yet. For those living out of coverage areas, Bayantel offers a special package 1mbps dl&ul speed (no data capping) but price depends on agent (friend who lives in Timbao, mountain area between valencia and bacong, pays 3500 php per month) and you can opt for higher speed for an additional fee.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Just to correct the terminology: "Meg" is short for Megabyte or MB (in this case: per second). It gets routinely confused with Megabit or Mbit (per second). The problem with that is that connections are denominated in Mbit, and there are 8 bits in one byte.
    Ergo, a 20 Mbit connection would promise 20/8=2.5 MB/s download speed.
    Equally, a 50 Mbit connection equals roughly 6 MB/s .

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    To expand on what you are saying so that some may better understand;

Difference between mbps and mb | Difference Between

Disk Space : Size In Megabytes (MB) - NewSprout

4. starreggie

Web Designer
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Here are the links/contact details to the updated packages per internet provider: (Some high-end plans are not available in Valencia due to the facility so limit yourselves to the 20 Mbps plans if in Valencia)

Globe: Compare Globe Home & Business Broadband Plans – Check Promos 2017
    PLDT: PLDT HOME Fibr | High Speed Fiber Optic Internet Connection
    Bayantel: (Coming soon... I still have to get the agent's name and number but he lives in Valencia, his house has the antennae on top of a mango tree near Bong-ao High School)

5. starreggie

Web Designer
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Update those who are in Valencia, PLDT came to my house today to offer shifting from GLOBE to PLDT. Free installation and 50% off for 6 months. PM me, ill provide you the number. This is for PLDT fibr accounts. Speedtest they showed were awesome!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  6. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I am more interested in your own speed tests you make after installation! Some providers back in Oz pulled a swifty back in the days when ADSL first hit the scene, cannot quiet remember what it was but something about how they connected (I think to their own connection or something like that) which fudged the figures to appear unbelievably fast.

Try SpeedTest.net after you are connected and try first thing in the morning before the local Internet Cafes open, around midday when everyone is checking their Facebook and again later that afternoon when everyone gets home from work/school... I have found quoted speeds are more likely later in the night around 11pm onward.

I bet your quoted speeds are early in the morning and again late at night, the rest of the day you are in direct competition with every man and their dog trying to check their Facebook to upload selfies! :smuggrin:

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Globe likes to show you their intranet speeds (how fast they can talk to their own servers in Cebu). Quite worthless as less than 0.00000000000000000001% of the internet is hosted on Globe's Cebu servers.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    THAT'S THE ONE! Intranet! I remember back in Oz some selling packages were caught out doing that instead of showing the true speeds to potential customers! The Whirlpool Forums were abuzz with people claiming unrealistic speeds, then the "Intranet" was explained to them by the truly 'smart guys' as to why they were incorrect in calculating their speed. Even my old Techie back in Oz who had been around since the birth of the Internet when it was like Teletext and was proficient in writing C++, fell for that one quoting wildly unrealistic speeds, until he read for himself that he was doing it all wrong! Was a somewhat victorious day for me that day! :smuggrin: jeje

• Like Like x 1
  9. horizon155

horizon155 DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Information Tech
    Ratings:
    +121 / 44
    Blood Type:
    A+
    guess thats why when I switched from globe they encouraged me to "Select the server I prefer to use" - hmm :cautious:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I always pick somewhere ridiculous to test internet speeds. No real logic behind that...but it is more realistic than testing ISPs intranets.

N'Djamena, Chad
    speedtest.PNG

Roshan Intranet Speeds
    speedtestintranet.PNG

Good enough to stream Netflix from here:
    [​IMG]

Amazing that Roshan has managed to get internet good enough to stream YouTube/Netflix in that environment. What's the Philippines excuse?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1