Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Internet in Valencia

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by MichaelS, Apr 26, 2017.

1. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Maybe it is not a coincidence PLDT is a four letter word!?

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I cannot give you facts, but I can give you clues.

Today is a brownout all over Dumaguete and area. A few of us are smart/lucky enough to be in places where we have some sort of power back up. On a normal Sunday my PLDT Internet sucks, even though speed tests show I am getting the 3 Mbps that I have been getting for years. On a normal Sunday all the kids and local people are at home playing on line. Today I am getting the same 3 Mbps speeds from the same PLDT modem but my Internet is fabulous. I bet the rest of us who can get online today are having no problems whatsoever. So tell me why a broken undersea cable (the excuse usually given) is not a problem when there is a brownout in Dumaguete? Hmmm, methinks the system is oversold and not capable of handling all the customers on a normal day and has nothing to do with broken cables.

What say you Watson?

Unfortunately the brownout will be over in a couple of hours and the system will be back to slow streaming speeds. And once again it will be someone else's fault.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. sassicaia

sassicaia DI New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hello everyone! I will be leasing an apartment in Valencia beginning the second week of February, and will be working remotely from the apartment back to my office in New York. A friend who is doing this also, except in Davao, strongly recommends that I get the Globe plan 9499 which is supposedly 1Gbps with 1TB. I know this is way way more than 99.99% of the people need, and a ridiculous amount of money to spend on Internet access, but my work requires the fastest speed available, and my company will pay for it.

I am curious as to whether anyone on here has this plan or knows of anyone that has it. Is it even available in Valencia? I will be working on choosing the Internet provider this week, and would love your input. Thanks in advance, and I hope to meet some of you when I arrive.

4. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have Fil-Products here in Maluay - ADSL - 6Mbps which at times works better than my 20Mbps Fiber-Optic setup back in Australia, which is provided via PLDT. I am happy for the most part. When I had mine installed they mentioned that they were also installing Cables for their Fibre-Optic Internet, but the prices the installers quoted were a SHOCKER at 60,000phph installation and 30,000php per month connection fees. (I can only hope they had no real idea of costs for anyone contemplating Fibre-Optic) I am happy with my 2,200php per month ADSL connection thanking you! They are laying Cables from Zamboanguita to Dumaguete, so I am not sure if they are at Valencia as yet. You could enquire and ask. For what it is worth, both Smart and Globe are absolutely next to useless here in Maluay, so Fil-Products is my only option. Thankfully they are not that bad.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I doubt that plan is available on the island, definitely not in Valencia. Many places do not even have an internet connection at all here. I live in Valencia proper (in town) and use a Globe LTE antenna 10Mb connection. There are some streets wired for PLDT fibr here. Internet connections are so location specific here my best advice since you have already chosen an apartment is to contact your apartment manager for information. Hopefully you chose one with decent internet available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    P30000 connection fees. That sounds like a business connection and only appropriate for larger businesses. I don’t think even the wealthiest residences in Tierra Alta (Valencia) would pay that much even though they could afford it. In the USA no residence would pay that much; maybe they would pay $60 (P3000) but not P30000. But, you know, inflation right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    That was 30,000php per Month, the connection Fee was 60,000php! :wideyed:

A local Resort owner emailed me before then, as he was contemplating connecting, but could only avail the Fibre-Optic connection (I had troubles getting them to connect the ADSL 150M from the highway!) due to his location and told me he was quoted something like $1,000+ to connect but they were still tossing up whether or not it would be suitable so far from the highway. Here distance also plays a big part on whether or not you can avail their ADSL as it mainly only runs directly along the Highway as far as I understand it.

8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Pldt have recently run fiber optic cables from valencia to bacong underground,we are still waiting on any connection from them.
    Now i see globe are canvassing 15meg with no bandwidth limits around here but globe cannot provide 15 meg with unlimited as of yet here so as usual the globe guys are wasting their time.
    Im pretty sure unless globe get their act together they are going to take a big hit on customers if pldt can get their lines sorted.
    P1,899 for 20meg and unlimited bandwidth from pldt. Heres hoping

• Like Like x 2
  9. Brian Oinks

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Just as a side note; Fil-Products uses PLDT to supply their ADSL Internet. I was told "The sky is the limit, no limit downloading with Fil-Products" and to date even when I downloaded all my movies again (has to be around 1,000 or so, at times 30+ Movies a night) I have never been throttled to Dial-up Speeds or been notified I am downloading too much data. Yet I have heard in the past that PLDT have Download Limits. I would love if Fil-Products increases their speeds (via PLDT as their supplier) to 20Mbps as I am currently paying 2,200php per month for 6Mbps...

10. sassicaia

sassicaia DI New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Double checked and the info I am getting is the fibre is already in. The first tenant is in the building and supposedly using it already. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is true and that there is a fast plan available.

• Like Like x 1