Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Internet revisited

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by foobar, Nov 23, 2020.

1. foobar

foobar DI Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 5
    After appalling service from PLDT recently (nothing new there), I decided to investigate Air Link.

Went to their office near Santa Rosa Street, it's turned into a coworking space, and after getting a cell number and having a bizarre conversation, it seems Air Link no longer has an office, and the only person with the ability to answer technical questions about the service has moved to Bayawan and can't be reached. The girl we spoke to wouldn't even give us a number - or even a name.

Really great way to run a business.

So. Here I am, living in Valencia.

- PLDT Fibr is just way too unreliable with terrible customer service
    - Globe doesn't offer home internet in Valencia
    - Neither does Sky
    - Air Link evidently doesn't want my business
    - Filproducts has an awful reputation for connection speed and customer service

What do I do?

Stick it out and wait for Dito?

All ideas very welcome. I need 20Mbps minimum and I need it to work 24/7. I need both wifi and ethernet connections (i.e. a proper router).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I live in Valencia and have Filproducts. Rarely have issues and any time I do they get resolved on their own quickly. Never had to call customer service so no idea about that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    foobar

foobar DI Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 5
    Interesting - a number of friends say it's really slow. And I'm always seeing Filproducts vans around our neighbourhood which suggests things are going wrong a lot.

But thanks for replying. Does the router they gave you let you connect wired as well as wifi? And do they let you have the router master password (unlike PLDT)?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The vans may be doing installs or general maintenance.

As for the speed, here are my last 30+ days:
    Screenshot_20201123-154241.png Screenshot_20201123-154341.png

I pay for the P1600 plan, can't remember how many mbps that is supposed to be. I stream in HD with no issue.

There are 4 ports for wired connection.

I don't know about the admin password, never had a need for it. I don't even use their UI for my home WiFi. I highly doubt they would give you root/admin access though. What do you need that level of access for?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    foobar

foobar DI Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 5
    Ah, that's actually quite encouraging. The 1599 package is supposed to be 8Mbps, so if you're getting 6 to 7, that's not bad.

It's possible that our friends are paying for the slowest package and expecting too much. I'll ask what packages they're on.

In PLDT's case I had to get hold of the master router password in order to change the config to allow my wifi-connected devices to talk to my ethernet-connected devices (home media server), because PLDT lock that off for some bizarre reason. But if Filproducts don't mess with things in that way I shouldn't need it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    If you are not able to configure the modem/router you can purchase your own WiFi router with Ethernet ports and connect it via Ethernet cable to the modem. Your Ethernet devices would then be connected to your new WiFi router where they could communicate with the wireless devices connected to your new WiFi router.

7. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    I'm with Air Link as no other provider has vacancies in our area. I pay a whopping P4499/month for 15mps. Normally around 10-12mps when I test it. I can access the router via IP address for certain admin things, such as blacklisting devices and rebooting the router, which sometimes is required.

Not aware that their office is no longer staffed. Have not been there for a couple of months as I pay by bank transfer. My last month payment confirmation email was acknowledged by them. If you really want to shell out that much cash, I can pass you the email address.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,975 / 1,085
    The following info is not in all cases but certainly most as far as routers go. On the bottom there is generally written > WiFi Key *****....... hence the routers password. With the WiFi Key password
    some companies have avenues to let you also change it to your own. Cheers!

9. OP
    OP
    foobar

foobar DI Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 5
    Thanks, but if they don't even have a manned office I'm not going to trust them with my money. That's why I posted really, because I wanted to try them but they're no longer an option for me.

10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,581 / 2,886
    TopTechnologies and IT Solutions® - Wi-Fi Technology Dumaguete City 6200 top_technologies@yahoo.com Mobile No.09174870027

Satellite dish but I think based on PLDT.

• Informative Informative x 3