Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Internet servers

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by expatron, May 30, 2014.

1. niskivich

niskivich DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thom,

There was a way to stop the contract somehow. One of fellow expats managed that. I will post a link to his blog as soon as i find it.

2. niskivich

niskivich DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173

There are a couple of ways. First the contract usually has an early cancelation fee which is usually the simplest way out. Globe is the one that doesn't and tries to force you to pay off the entire contract.

Now with Globe and their basically evil service what you do is this. Go down to NTC (NOT DTI anymore for internet and such services). File a complaint with NTC on your provider that you have a contract for X service which they are not delivering on. That you've complained many times and after months the problem has not been resolved. NTC will tell you to do a couple simpler steps with also notifying NTC (so paper trail is created). If the provider still doesn't fix the problem (of course they won't) then NTC will file a complaint and talk to the provider themselves. They will instruct the provider that they have usually 1 month to correct the problem or allow a termination of the contract due to the providers failure to fulfill the contract. The provider will usually at this time or before push you to switch to a lower speed service but you need to refuse that. They cannot bait and switch and even if you did accept it you can bail out of it still.

So first step is NTC and the guy there will guide you on what you need to do. He isn't in the office every day however.

This will make it so you are no longer legally obligated to pay anything or a termination fee either. But be warned, in Globes case they will continue pressing you to pay X amount for termination and keep harassing you. Globe will usually bar you from service with them again as well citing you still *owe* them. Globe has faced many multi million peso fines due to its practices but they still continue especially outside Manila and Cebu. The other providers tend to be a bit more accepting.

Important bit is to start making sure everytime your connection is slow you call and complain and try and demand a technician.

But I'd suggest head over to NTC. Their office is downtown I believe behind the market but can't remember. If you can't find it you can always just as DTI (office above the BPI near Chow King downtown).

4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Ahh if only it were that simple. I dealt with Smart years ago and they had such a thing. I am now with MyBro and I asked about early termination at the office in Robinson's Mall.

Reply: You can only terminate early by paying the remainder of the 24 months.

I asked: What if I make it as difficult for you to collect money off me as it is for me to get an Internet signal.

Reply: After about 20 or more written complaints you can apply to head office and at their option they may allow you to cancel.

Thus I will try the upgrade route first.

5. ChMacQueen

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Try NTC, this is what their job is and they have improved doing such things tremendously in the last couple of years since NTC took over that section from DTI.

PLDT MyDSL has an early term fee of 2000p and Fil Products has an early term fee now of 2500p. I had heard that around 2 years ago a court case with Globe came down with ordering providers to all offer an early term fee. However Globe still is ignoring such things.

Just make sure your point with NTC and complaints with your provider are all around the fact that you have a contract that you want to fulfill but that the provider is incapable or refusing to fulfill their end as stated in the country (X service for Y payment). The provider won't ever give way to you but when NTC gets involved they will give way to NTC.

A few months ago I helped a neighbor out with this issue with Globe. Brought him down to NTC and got the ball started. NTC gave Globe 1 month to either correct the issue or terminate the contract. Contract was terminated but didn't stop Globe from calling harassing for payment. But with NTC's case and order against Globe it left Globe with no way to do anything but empty threats and harassment. Change your number and move on.

6. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    PLDT is the most pathetic excuse for an internet provider I have experienced. DAILY outages, intermittant outages, repair personale who do not acknowlege a problem exists and a myriad of additional frustrating and seemingly constant problems. That has been my experience with PLDT since February of this year, although last years, it was fairly consisant in average performance. Don't know what changed, ut it is NOT for the good---hope this helps Ron!

7. ChMacQueen

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    No clue where you are tlrtraveler but I've used PLDT in numerous locations and had far fewer issues then anything else. Its still no where near as good as internet available in other developed countries but as far as the Philippines its the better choice. Remember though this is PLDT DSL, not talking on smart bro or such. DSL is a fairly straight forward service as long as lines aren't overcrowded. Thing with DSL is its limited to range from their nearest box and if you requested a line outside the range going to a further box or having *excess* as they call it your signal may be very shoddy if your going over the distance limitations to DSL.

Still try and get better from Globe or any other provider. You'll find them even worse. But thats the truth many of us have had to accept, the Philippines is very far behind the curve in technology and cares more of profits then customer satisfaction and service as there is really no good way to hold business's accountable to the consumer.

8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    We have been with globe for around three yrs now on a dsl line,and yes we have also had a few problems now and then but for the best part of the time it's ok. We recently upgraded from 3-5meg and had a few probs for a couple of weeks. We have found the only way to get them to deal with a problem is to go there every day but only speak to the manager, she likes to make excuses about not being there so we just say we will wait until she comes out :smile: I don't think she likes us anymore but we do get it fixed usually very quickly as she will avoid us at all costs.
    This seems the only way to deal with incompetent company's like this with no customer service!

9. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    once you have had enough of Globes very poor service threaten to sit on their customer service counter and disrupt them as they disrupt you, it worked for me :D now that they eventually fixed my connection all is good.

10. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    NTC has no way to control the internet speed

Manila - The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) announced yesterday that they have no way to control the promised by ISPs Internet speed. NTC director Edgardo Cabarios says we would need at least 14 million PHP need to purchase the equipment for monitoring. According Cabarios would telephone companies under the outdated Public Service Act of 1936, for non-compliance with the promised benefits a fine of 200 PHP pay daily. The Kabataan MP Terry Ridon, has opened an investigation against the Internet provider in the House Resolution 630. In addition to the high fees says Ridon, have thousands of Filipino Internet users is the description of the limited availability and the slow Internet speed out of proportion with the paid rate. Ridon requires Internet providers to keep their word: "Will you promise not 10 megabytes per second when customers have ever need to connect only to the Internet. MIB 06/12/2014 - 6:00