Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Internet speed measured in ph but results are not public

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by DavyL200, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-

Problems too many to mention. I imagine it must be difficult to lay fibre optic cabe through all the different islands governed by different political factions who would all demand a cut of the pie. Imagine the decision making process and digging up all the roads to lay cable when a simple barangay concrete road takes 8 months and nevr is completed. It would seem that most of the internet is being relayed through smart towers and not cable like in Thailand. Secondly the Philippines has as many servers in total as one city in Germany. Huge demand for bandwidth and no solutions. Foundation University are working on providing another service but running into opposition from the powers that be that do not want the competion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    The foundation uni has good internet as know someone who uses it,one thing I will say is the price needs to be more competitive.
    And should imagine the other suppliers will do anything to stop them as we can't have any competition can we :banghead:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Main pro
    Main issue is upload speed. We are with PLTD and download speeds are generally fine except during busy peak hours usually 5pm -7-30pm - but upload speeds are virtually non existent - Thats a problem across the entire country

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    It took about 15 mins to do a speed check earlier on and it never got above .85 but PLDT said that was acceptable. To Whom I said.? Certainly not me with a 3mbs Contract that is capped at about 12 noon to 1mbs and it is only 9.15 now.:jawdrop:

JP:banghead:

5. Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    I heard on the grapevine that the fibre optical cable out of Duma was destroyed/damaged [ by fishing boat ? ] _ Everyone has been complaining more about internet in past few weeks though - so makes sense

6. Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    3mbs? lol.. Believe it when I see it.. It has to be a marketing stunt - Pinoy culture is non critical - they NEVER complain to anyone about anything so every business does what it wants anyway - No way anyone is gettting 3mbs.. We pay DOUBLE for our 1.5mbs as need an antenna and have to go through a provider who just charges double [ SMART do not wish to deal with towers in case of lawsuits ] so double it is we pay. The alternative? No I-net :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Just tested my internet a second ago.

Screenshot (137).png

I pay P999 for 2 megs with Globe. I haven't had any problems with their internet since. They screwed up my landlords account a week ago but I can't really complain about internet speeds. Surprised that the upload is actually faster than the down right now. I always run those tests to servers outside of the Philippines and I'm almost always above 1MB. I'm sure everyone knows that when they say you are buying 3mbs that is not the average speed you will see.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    It's a sad state of affairs when we are all happy as a pig in sh*t to be getting 2 Mbps of internet speed here in the PI .... Jeeeze, I was getting 50 Mbps when I lived in Florida.

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My parents are still only getting 2mbs of at their place in the US.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    Jeeze .... after all these years, are they still on AOL dial-up?