Dumaguete Info Search

INVITING MY SO TO MY HOME COUNTRY UK

Discussion in 'Military and Veterans' started by DAVE1952, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Randyb

Randyb DI Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +43 / 3
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I have personal experience with this Dave, as well as I know many others from my home country. Also have heard of many others about this. Our collective wisdom is - dont.

2. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    In fairness it seems to me that yes there is a risk that bringing your partner to your home country won't be successful in the long run (assuming that is what you mean), just as there are risks with the opposite, i.e. living with a partner in the Philippines as a foreigner.
    The difference might be that social acceptance of a fairly large age gap between partners is much less in the West than it is here, which means that social interaction is harder there.
    But that doesn't mean that a generalized advice like yours (the "don't") is justified in every situation.
    There's a big difference between a situation of a long established relationship and having a child together (like Dave's) and a situation where you basically go from LDR (long distance relation) plus a couple short visits to the girl's country to trying to make things work as a couple in a western country.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    I know the UK Visa system for partners (usually females) can be difficult and made unpleasant by immigration rules - the UK government treats it as a cash cow. Of course it is extremely easy to get in if you are a Russian crook because cash speaks very loudly to Tories.

However, it is possible (I did all 3 Visas for my wife and did not need legal help - they try to make out it is necessary, of course!) and so anyone who desires a partner with them should not be deterred.

But never start out on a lengthy, and potentially expensive, process without knowing all the facts first and having the finances - no amount of switching money around or other such loopholes will work. I knew foreign students back in the very worse times for immigration (2010 onwards) who took a small amount from their bank account for a single day and then replaced it - that meant they failed the financial requirement and were usually deported. At that time colleges were texting students at the airport in Manila to tell them not to board the plane because the rules had changed overnight.

If the case is sound in all aspects then the chances of getting a Visa is near 100% - immigration know that appeals can be made and so they are not going to refuse sound cases (as much as they would like to). If anyone says they were refused then there was a reason behind it; that reason might not seem logical to us but who are we to question!

Btw, make a single error on a Visa application form and there is a risk of refusal and that could mean the loss of the entire application fee! So know the requirements, cross the i's etc. and be determined not to let the bastards get you down!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I have good reason to believe this good advice of yours and that of others is coming from your home country of England??? But I am Scottish, understand that small population north of you of only 5million people, we are apt to persevere and go where others have never gone before, I do not know where the modern world would be without all the discoveries and inventions we created. TV's, Telephones, Penicillin, along with a host of other things. Likely the US would still be a British colony and full of British Convicts if it had not been for that great Scotsman John Paul Jones who was the father of the American Navy and won the battle of the seas against the British, admittedly you did have one good Englishman the great Charles Darwin, but he was educated in Edinburgh University. Collective wisdom you say? Hoots Mon; am jist gonny pit that in ma pipe and smoke it.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 230
    Hoots Mon Dave, "home" is where the heart is, its not your fault you where born in Scotland, btw you forgot Whisky!!!
    Just thinking what England is famous for.....Lancashire hot pot, Cumberland sauages, Wensleydale cheese, Yorkshie puddings, Red Leicester not to mention Cornish Pasties which might cause upset in some quarters.
    Can't find the story about a young Alexander Fleming whose education was paid for by Randolph Churchill in gratitude for his help.
    Alexander Fleming Scottish of course, went on to discover Penicillin which its said saved the life of Winston Churchill the son of Randolph Churchill

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  6. OP
    OP
    DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    John can I advise you not to call a Cornish man and Englishman they widnae waunt that stigma attched to thum, ye micht get yer Heid kicked in, did you not know they are considered a Celtic Race? or are you suggesting this may cause upset in some quarters, actually I think it would be more than 25% more like 100% would be upset, maybe you can be so brave as to ask NMRN this? As for all these yucky foods you are suggesting, it is enough to Mak' a Giud a man Spew,

Ye Pow’rs, wha mak mankind your care,
    And dish them out their bill o fare,
    Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
    That jaups in luggies:
    But, if ye wish her gratefu prayer,
    Gie her a Haggis

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 230
    Please cross out Cornish pasties and put in Melton Mowbray pies.......sorry NMRN. (He's a nice guy)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Love those pork pies. :hungry:

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Filipinos blend very well in other country's, much better than we do in the Philippines IMO.

And in no time I'm sure she will have a new group of Filipina girls to hang out with and most of them will have old fart husbands making up Dave's new friend group.

I agree with the acceptance of age in the west but you just need to get a don't give a rats attitude, your friends and family will get use to it especially as they get to know her.

From what I have seen Dave and his wife don't look that odd together maybe its because of the same hight.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  10. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    My wife and i lived in the UK so i know from experience Filipinos will be treated better there than foreigners' are here, for example white man, long nose or whatever you want to call it tax.
    Anybody using such tactics in the UK would be charged with racism.

Foreigners are not given a fair chance to blend in here .

• Agree Agree x 3