Best Posts in Thread: Is DGT overrated?

1. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    As a true-blooded Dumaguetena, born & raised here, I am inclined to agree with all of your observations. Dumaguete has changed, greatly changed from the Dumaguete of my childhood when we used to swim right there in the waters of the boulevard by the sea. The pedicabs then were pedaled, there were more horse-drawn vehicles than motorized ones so pollution was not much of a problem, etc. etc.

But when I tried to go to work in a bigger city like Manila and made a few trips to Cebu, I would always long to go back to Dumaguete. Life is crazier in bigger cities I have made a decision to make Dumaguete as my home. There are a lot of things to be fixed in this city but compared to the hassle and bustle of bigger cities, I am willing to cope and survive.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There has been plenty of progress. I remember when you couldn't drive North or South of the city without quickly hitting dirt road. Food has improved, stores are modernizing, roads are largely in better condition. It is quicky moving away from the large provincial town to an urbanized one. I personally like the changes I'm seeing in Dumaguete.

As for all those rules you want imposed on everyone: if you want to live in a police state go back to the West. The one thing I have always liked about the Philippines/most of Asia is the lack of enforcement.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I agree 100% with your complaints, pollution is really bad here but do you ask what you can do to change it in the right direction? I see a change in attitudes, special among young Filipinos, here in Bacong where I live a group of young guys has made some actions to clean the area, special the beach and put signs up, clean after yourself. They go to the barangay hall and get support to their ideas and now there are a fine 1000 pesos if you throw your waste on the beach. it's funny to see peoples reaction when the read the sign, they look around, anyone watches me, any cameras, it works. Progress is slow but I'm happy to see the change in attitude among these young guys

• Like Like x 9
  4. Leifen

Leifen DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    To compare Phuket with Dumagute is not fair.

Tourism in Phuket is very large and in Dumaguete very small.
    Phuket International Airport operate about 60 different airlines around the clock and 30 flights per hour.
    Only from China 32 destinations.
    35.000 tourist visit Phuket every day.
    With that number of tourist you get more shopping malls to visit.
    Locals can’t support so many shopping malls

The small number of people paying income tax is a problem for Dumaguete, not money enough for new roads and mostly foreigner doesn’t pay tax as well.

Philippines are a poor country compared with Thailand. Only half the income per capita.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  5. kowpot

kowpot DI Junior Member Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +41 / 2
    Blood Type:
    O+
    EX 231
    While I partially agree with what you state.
    The 65,000 baht must be deposited into a Thai bank account every month for 12 months in order to be eligible for an extension. The days of getting a letter from the embassy are long over. The deposits must show proof of being a foreign transaction. That is to prevent anyone from withdrawing money from the ATM and depositing it into their account. Also, no buddy systems. (two people transferring funds on each other's behalf to meet eligibility)
    Comparing Manila Air Quality to Bangkok is kind of a stretch. But, if you look at an Air Quality Map of Thailand you will see that almost 80% of it is below standards. Standards in the north are actually rated as dangerous by the World Health Organization.
    As far a food goes. The best Thai food I have ever had was in a Thai Restaraunt in the states. Having lived in Thailand off and on since 1972, I have never figured out why people say the food is so good. Most of it isn't as far as I'm concerned. But to each his own.
    I totally agree with you as far as the internet goes. Thailand has great internet if you are willing to pay for it. The low-cost internet is probably no better than the Philippines. The internet in Thailand doesn't go out that often, but the power does. So, hey............................ I lived in the Philippines before. Really enjoyed it. But, at the time I thought Thailand was the better option and for a while I was right. But, since the coup and the government takeover and the ridiculous immigration rules I no longer feel that way. They are pretty much showing they no longer need or want expats.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +428 / 12
    I don't care at all how and by whom Duma has been rated.

All I know is I still feel quiet happy here. I am focused on my family and want to live a peaceful life. Avoiding conflicts as much as possible.

There are many issues in Duma. No doubt about it. Accept it, or leave. You will not change it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No, I'm not joking. There are pros and cons to a lack of enforcement. The pros are that I can do pretty much whatever I like so long as I am not hurting someone else. As a person who keeps to himself and does care slightly about others' comfort I try to keep my actions reasonable and I mostly play within societal norms. The cons come from people who don't do that. Luckily most people tend to be good people that have some concern for the comfort of the people around them. The assh*les are louder and more visible but will eventually get what is coming to them.

In the US I could be driving on an empty highway going 10mph over the speed limit not hurting anyone and get a ticket. I think that is bullsh*t and prefer, with all its faults, the Filipino way of traffic enforcement. I don't need or want the government to be my nanny and hold my hand in every aspect of life. The Philippines offers true freedom IMO. I'm lucky to have the money and assets needed to live a happy life in a free capitalist society. I'm sure it sucks for those that don't have that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. AndyG

AndyG DI Member Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Web developer
    Ratings:
    +124 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I also have 10 years here.
    Comparing Dumaguete to what is was like 10 years ago is not a measure if it's "rateability". whether positive or negative, it's only a measure of it's progress.
    Dumaguete will always be right for some people and wrong for others. Currently it's right for more people than it's wrong for and the population growing. Surely then: it's actually under-rated - at least until population growth stops.
    Classically in the Philippines and many other locations, the infrastructure to cope with an increase in population lags behind the requirement and like TheDude says: it might take a while to catch up.
    Fortunately the Philippines is blessed with thousands of islands, each with their own eccentricities. If Dumaguete no longer suits, I'm sure there's somewhere else that does.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Nothing much wrong with Dumaguete and any place is what you make it. Sure it's not perfect but show me a country outside your own that is and I would guess in some cases your own country isn't up to much either.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. kowpot

kowpot DI Junior Member Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +41 / 2
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You think Thailand is better? You can have it. For one, it is hard to find a beach that is suitable for swimming unless you go to one of the islands. Pattaya is a cesspool and I would never swim in the ocean there. Immigration is a nightmare for most. An American has to put roughly $26,000. in a Thai bank and leave it there. You can use some of it, but that is a long story. Just remember, it must be put back 3 months prior to your next extension. Oh yes, you are required to extend your stay every year and must report to immigration every 90 days just to basically let them know you still live where you say you do. Thailand is the second most dangerous place to drive in the world. Don't let Thailands progress fool you. It is basically a military regime and is only good for the Thai elite.
    How do I know all this? I live here in Thailand and can't wait to leave. The Philippines is looking pretty good right about now.
    By the way, air pollution in most of Thailand is unbearable right now. It will only get worse next year and worse the year after that.

• Informative Informative x 5