Dumaguete Info Search

Is DGT overrated?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Hindgt, May 2, 2019.

1. btd

btd DI Member

Ratings:
    +97 / 1
    Overrated? I love Dumaguete just as much if not more than I did when I first set foot here 18 years ago and frankly I don't observe THAT much change in this period of time. What has changed a lot is my perspective. I notice things I didn't see before, I focus on different things in some ways. Traffic and so forth bothers me more than it did before at times, not because those things have so drastically changed, but because I have now lived them day after day for many years. If all of these "negatives" we're cured, most of us would probably not be here because it would then be a "first world" country and the cost of living would reflect accordingly.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Huh? :o o:

3. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    Yep, every day killings in USA. And, I suppose, in all fairness, best to mention, the Samal Island incident was a one-time event.
    Also, I enjoy my life, don't stay at home out of fear. I've seen a lot of my home country and here as well. I rent, so I can move around easy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HeyJoey

HeyJoey DI Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 11
    Wrong quote, i wanted to quote the guy you spoke to not yourself :bag:
    i guess its why never mix redhorses and tanduay? :frown:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Genius Genius x 1
  5. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    Interesting thread. Seems overall, expats like Dumaguete saying the good outweigh the bad. I like the city, very livable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Was it though? There has never been a foreigner murdered or kidnapped there before? Or is it that the information just not easily found? The Philippines certainly doesn't keep a list of foreigners/tourists killed in the Philippines, or if they do they certainly aren't sharing it/making it available online. The internet was barely a thing 10 years ago in the Philippines and even today most "news" is posted to social media (which isn't cached/indexed all that well). Finding records of foreigners being killed more than even 5 years ago can be rather difficult unless you know exactly what you are looking for and where to look.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Swissrider

Swissrider DI Member Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +132 / 28
    The first time I visited Samal Island was 25 years ago. The only kidnapping I know about was the one some years ago. About 15 years ago a Swiss was murdered. And this killing didn't come unexpected. My friends told me at the time that this guy was constantly insulting the Filipinos. Including his wife. Not a good idea in this country. Otherwise I never heard of any big crimes where a foreigner was affected. All my friends feel very safe on the island. This was also my impression when I was there last year.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    AFAIK was the kidnapping incident on Samal island a planned one. ASG wanted to get that specific person into their custody to press ransom from his relatives or company.

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Exactly.
    No effort at all. Dumaluan Beach.

10. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It's soon over, waterpark and new hotel, 600 rooms like that under construction, don't know what's going on there, but Chinese and Koreans take over a big part

• Agree Agree x 1