Dumaguete Info Search

Is it legal to smoke cigarettes in Damaguete

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by chappo, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Neither for it or against it, I thought I would just post this from the paper. With them using TMO & police. the Helmet thing is suspect again IMHO

The City of Dumaguete has started implementing the Smoke Free Ordinance, which prohibits smoking in all public places.

More than 100 law enforcement agents fanned out to the city streets Saturday after they were deputized by Mayor Manuel Sagarbarria, although no arrests were reported.

“The penalty for the first offense is a reprimand,” explained City Administrator William Ablong, who also heads Task Force Sagarr, the City’s premiere law enforcement arm. Ablong said that as of Saturday morning, he had yet to receive any feedback from the law enforcers.

Pursuant to City Ordinance 94 series of 2011, the use, sale, distribution and advertisement of cigarettes and any tobacco products are prohibited in all public places or within 100 meters from any point within the perimeter of a public place.

Public places, as defined by the Ordinance, are the public market, Rizal Boulevard, churches, schools of all levels, tricycles, buses and jeepneys, airports, bus and boat terminals.

Restaurants and conference halls may have separate designated smoking areas.

The deputized enforcers, consisting of the police, traffic management office, Task Force Sagarr, City Health Office, Environment and Natural Resources Office, barangay tanods and other volunteers are authorized to reprimand offenders for the first offense and issue citation tickets for succeeding offenses.

There is a P500 fine for the second offense and P1000 for every succeeding offense thereafter.

The MetroPost went around the public market Saturday morning hoping to find law enforcers doing their thing but failed to find any.

Dr. Sarah Tallah, city health officer, said that the City will also help smokers who wish to stop smoking by giving counselling sessions.

2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    counselling sessions? What? Haven't all smokers been educated about the health effects since the 4 year in school?

And yes I was outside Bernardo's the other day having a smoke, 2 police officers came up and told me I was breaking the law. I told them I was sorry and I would find a proper place to put it out. The one officer had his ticket book in hand and the other one thanked me for my understanding. That's ok for me.
    Ron

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Well, no government in the whole wide world wants one single smoker to stop smoking, it is simply something they have to say in the public to get some votes.

however, it is amusing on a sunny day to stand at the motorbike area at Robinsons and light up a cigarette. The 2 officers in the shade look at you and make strange signs and movements, but would not set a toe out into the sun...

here the wording of the Smoke Free Ordinance of City of Dumaguete

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yep.....well if they don't sh*t can this no smoking enforcement in bars I will be leaving Dumaguete. If they want to put in a smoking section and make me wear a silly hat that is fine with me, but when I drink I smoke. And to not even allow smoking outside the bar is ridiculous. The main reason I am here is cheap alcohol, cheap smokes and cheap women.....you cut one of the links in that chain and I'm outta here.

5. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I was in Makati a few years ago, the government put in a law that there is no smoking in any public area including the bars. As I walked in to a bikini bar, the girls saw the pack of smokes in my pocket. They said that they have a smoking room with big glass windows to see all the dancing. That was a time I was glad to be a smoker.:D

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That's what gets me. Bars are not public or government land. It should be completely up to individual businesses to determine, if your business is hurting then yeah, make it non-smoking. I don't expect, or want, to be able to smoke in a shopping centers, restaurants, public transportation and other common sense places that you wouldn't smoke (unless you're in the middle east.....I've seen Afghans and Iraqis smoking while waiting in line in the bank) but for sh*t's sake a bar!? A bar is designed to cater to immoral and irresponsible behavior! Is that not the purpose of alcohol, to impair your judgment and make you do things you'll regret in the morning?

7. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I have to agree on that one. That's why the bar owner set up the smoking room and gave those customers that smoked a better time.

8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Cheers to that bar owner......i highly doubt that that most bars here are going to do the same though. I am noticing tonight that some places aren't really giving a sh*t. Those bars will be the new stomping grounds. I read the actual wording and am having problems finding where this law applies to businesses, everything mentioned was public or government building and places where minors gather......maybe the "workplace" is the catch all there.

9. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    You have got to be shitting me. This thing came out of nowhere. I went to Hayahay today and no smoking there?

No smoking on the boulevard?

Helmets. No smoking. No girly bars. No plastic bags. What the **** is wrong with this city? :wink:

The first day I went to McD's after the plastic ban, I was pleased to know that perhaps there will be fewer plastic bags littering the ground, but that was before my leaky drinks fell through the bag and spilled all over the ground. I was no longer pleased.

A warning for the first offense? A fine for the second offense? If they are organized enough to pull that off, then that would be a first.

"For a while sir, I have to look through this big @ss stack of papers to look-up your prior offenses."

How about they do something useful and ban stray dogs? Or ban 15 year old's from bars? Better yet, ban all morons. Then there would be nobody left to cause all these problems. :wink:

**** this, I heard good things about Cambodia. I'm moving.

10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I agree with most everything you said there......minus the moron thing, I have my moments.

I have been thinking about Vietnam. A "thousandaire" in the US, a millionaire in the Phils and a Billionaire in Vietnam (based off current exchange rates). Would be nice to be able to say that. :smile: