Dumaguete Info Search

Is it legal to smoke cigarettes in Damaguete

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by chappo, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Not at silliman anyway

My nephew tells me, it is banned and has been for 3+ years, on Silliman grounds I guess that is a start to things.

Attached Files:

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Why Not just banned smoking again. Most bars on the strip are non-smoking now. I know of a few still allowing but ain't giving those names up incase there are some ahole non-smoking Nazis out there looking to report. I'll give it a week then I'm going to start looking for another city. I can tolerate a lot of sh*t but this isn't one of them.

3. GOwin

GOwin DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually, there are two laws that prohibit smoking: Republic Act No. 8749 (a.k.a. Philippine Clean Air Act of 1999) and Republic Act 9211 ( a.k.a. Tobacco Act of 2003)

Section 3 of RA 9211 states that smoking is “absolutely prohibited” in :
    while RA 8749 prohibits:
    Since this is a national law, there's no need for "enabling laws" for local governments. However, as is the usual case in PH, enforcing the law is another matter. Davao city is the only city that consistently, and strictly enforce this.

This lack of inconsistency open doors for abuse by corrupt law enforcers, who can apply the law at whim, but in reality, is just trying to shake you down.

Therefore, the answer to the original poster's query is: No, it's not legal to smoke in public places in Dumaguete, EXCEPT in designated smoking areas, or in the privacy of your own home.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Again, the key word in the law is "public". Bars and restaurants are not "public" unless the government has a chow hall of some sort. (yeah I know, semantics). If I had a bar I'd just build a small box with ventilation and call it the non-smoking area, the rest of the bar is the designated smoking area......and then I'd be shut down. Lol

5. GOwin

GOwin DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @wrye83

"Public", in this case, refer to accessibility and not to ownership Restaurants and bars fall in that category, specifically for restrictions in "enclosed spaces that are open to the public." Check the full text of RA 9211.

I just read from the news that Davao city just passed a new anti-smoking law that is more stringent, with a much wider scope than these national laws.

6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    As a non-smoker, I would much rather breath second-hand smoke than the s#@T I breathe from bikes and other vehicles. Many of my friends smoke and are always courteous around me. Don't want smoke while I eat though so glad about no indoor smoking.

Then there's the smoke from burning rubber, but that was in my younger days. lol

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Happy days :wink:

8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So someone needs to make a membership style bar (similar to the Moose Lodge, Knights of Columbus and other similar establishments around the world) that is NOT open to the "public", and they do get around certain alcohol laws in the US for doing this. I'll gladly pay a membership fee. Or even a place that sells one day membership fees at around 1 peso. That should take care of that issue, right?

9. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    was that tire rubber smoke?

10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Not quite sure what to make of this one. My wife's cousin, was cited for smoking in his car, earlier this Afternoon. While dropping his daughter off at work at the Bethel, he was approached by a TMO officer and given a Warning Ticket can this be Right???