Dumaguete Info Search

Is it legal to smoke cigarettes in Damaguete

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by chappo, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm curious how exactly they are going to track those warning tickets. Yeah they keep the warnings on file but how do the TMOs know if it's the first offense or not? Are they going to reference their imaginary computer system they carry on their backs?

2. make a wish

make a wish DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is it legal to smoke cigarettes in Damaguete.

Unfortunately yes it is. Here is an article that was printed in the Daily Star: September 14

DAILY STAR: Negros Oriental

About 121 smokers have been apprehended since the Dumaguete City government started implementing its Smoke Free Ordinance on September 1, Joey Abella of the City Legal Office.

The violators included four foreigners, although only one was fined P500 for having been caught smoking in a public place twice. The others were issued citation tickets, he added.

Under the ordinance, first-time offenders will be reprimanded and obliged to attend a reorientation seminar on the dangers of smoking. Second-time offenders will be fined P500; and third-time and recidivist offenders will be fined P1,000, or imprisoned for five days, or both, depending on the discretion of the court, or a three-day community service.

Of those apprehended, 38 already attended the seminar. Violators who failed to comply will be charged in court, Abella said.

He said 80 percent of the fines will go to the barangay where the apprehension was made, and 20 percent to the city coffers.

The ordinance is being enforced by 160 deputized personnel from the police, traffic management office, city task force and barangay tanods.*RA

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I usually don't have a ID with me when going out, unless I go to tha bank or immigration. So I printed some calling cards with Broadside's name and address which I will give the officer with big teary eyes and a sincere apology for violating the law...

Let's see what happens when they get me ...

4. GOwin

GOwin DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In theory, this should work. :wink:
    Was the cousin smoking with windows closed?
    Dumaguete's "Smoke Free Ordinance" defines a "public place" as:
    I think "and the like" covers most everything.

5. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    They should just pass an ordinance that smoking is OK, but exhaling will be fined! :D

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    One restobar, that currently still allows smoking in Dumaguete, will be on board with the 1 peso/day membership fee if they get busted for allowing. I'll be supplying the membership cards (a raffle ticket) if it comes down to it. If there are other bars interested I'd gladly do the same for them, in return for the 1 peso/person fee.

*Typing while sitting in a bar smoking in Moalboal.

7. GOwin

GOwin DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You should be careful exploiting this loop hole. If an establishment converts itself to a club, then any non-members must pay the pass, making access exclusive to just members, or those with passes. And the "club" must be explicit about its nature, and membership privileges.

However, it should be noted that there are laws that classify clubs as public places.

So, good luck. I'll watch how this works out from my smoke-free table.

8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Well the anti smoking brigade were in robinsons today,got into a heated discussion with them about do gooders but as usual they do not have an opinion and just follow what they are brainwashed to say! So that's it for Bo's coffee and outside the main Doors for a ciggy,another non enforceable law which will be a five minute wonder like the rest!

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Davey,

you just need to walk towards sunlight, they stop dead and become a kind of paralyzed just before a toe would go out of the shade into the sun.
    I tested this this morning on 3 entrances, worked each time.

10. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I shall just carry on as normal as those do gooders can't be everywhere at once,there is prob only about five of them in the whole of the city! :smile: