Dumaguete Info Search

Is there a US VA or American Legion type Rep in the RP?

Discussion in 'Military and Veterans' started by ChMacQueen, Feb 6, 2019.

1. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I'm a US Vet and have a bit of a problem with my VA claim that has arisen. I can't really get any real help calling the VA 1000 number hotline especially considering on an internet phone often disconnects. I had been using a VA / American Legion office I was told to use my my old AL office in Minneapolis since I've been in the Philippines. However calling them I was told I should talk to the rep's here in the Philippines (don't think there actually is any who assist with handling claims (noted I'm a disabled veteran but have a dispute on an issue that came up). I tried telling them I was pretty sure no rep here to handle stuff like that which is why I had been directed to their office which a few years ago I was told handled overseas vets which they seem to disagree with but now they are getting quite difficult to talk to trying to brush me off as I'm not in one of their US counties.

So basically unsure where I can find assistance with my VA issue so asking of anyone here with claim issues has any experience who here in the Philippines or who in the US handles those of us abroad for assistance? Thanks

2. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    I can't directly answer your question, but I just wanted to mention something that helped me in the past when dealing with the VA in Manila.
    MANY years ago I wanted to use my GI Bill benefits at a school in the Philippines. I had verified that the school was approved by the VA before I came to the Philippines - or so I thought!
    What I didn't realize was that individual programs have to be approved, and although some programs at the school were approved, mine was not yet. My fault for not doing due diligence!
    I went down to the VA in Manila to inquire what to do, and basically got the brush-off from the Filipino clerical type I met with. He kind of shrugged, said it was "very impossible" or something like that, and suggested that I transfer to another school.
    That didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, so I contacted a relative (uncle) in the states, and he suggested writing to my Congressman in the US. He actually said he would do it for me.
    A couple of weeks later I received a brief letter from the Congressman with the typical "thank you for your service" verbiage, and saying he would look into the matter of using my GI benefits at my school in the Philippines.
    Letter in hand, I headed back to the VA. As luck would have it, the same Filipino clerk was the person I got to see. He again tried to give me the brush-off, and with a bit of exasperation said "I thought I explained to you..."
    I pulled out the letter and very politely said, "Oh, I understand, it's just that my Congressman said he would be looking into this. I was just wondering if you'd heard from him yet."
    The effect was instant and DRAMATIC! He asked if he might see the letter, and in about 15 minutes I was on my way home with the forms the school would need to fill out to get my program approved!

So I'd suggest you, or someone in the States if need be, contact your local Congressman. In my case, I don't think he actually had to do anything, but just the fact that he might be involved really helped.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    I hope this helps you. The VFW has and mans an office in the Manila OPC.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 4.00.07 PM.png

4. OP
    OP
    ChMacQueen

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Thanks but I've been unable to get a reply from that VFW post.

5. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If you are enrolled with the VA, you can use their HealthEVet to send them a message in Manila. They are located at 1501 Roxas Blvd, Pasay City. You may also want to contact any RAO, they usually help. The RAO out of Angeles with Jim Boyd is helpful. You can search them on the internet and contact them either by email or phone, they are good at responding.

6. OP
    OP
    ChMacQueen

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Just enrolled with the VA or specifically with Manila? I'd assume I'm enrolled with the VA already as I'm a disabled vet receiving compensation for years. As well no idea what RAO is or who Jim Boyd is.

7. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Did you ever enroll in MyHealthEVet, if so, just log on and send a message to the VARO Manila. If not you might want to get enrolled on your next visit there. it is easy and that is how I get all of my prescriptions refilled, just send a message and Air 21 delivers. You should let Manila know you are here and they can see you periodically for your VA rated disabilities. RAO is Retiree Affairs Office, Jim Boyd is the Director and they can help with VA issues as well. Hope this helps some.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    ChMacQueen

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Thanks guys, got directed somewhat to who to talk to.

Next question though does anyone know where the Leyte American Legion office is? The American Legion in Manila said Talosa Leyte but has no address of number but they say its post 63. Searched and can't find anything on it beyond a memorial and a news clipping from the AL Phil mentioning it without any info from years ago. That or any post in the Visayas.