Dumaguete Info Search

For Sale Best Posts in Thread: Kabir cockerels

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    well... there's plenty of chicken exspurts on the web and that's probably the best place to learn about the kabirs but i can give ya a couple of my observations/experiences.

1st off, i don't find them to be any bigger than the chickens back home (rhode island reds, barred rocks and the like) unless maybe you cage them and force feed them. our birds run free all day.

some of our hens have laid as many as 90 eggs before taking a 1 month breather or going broody so they're pretty good egg chickens.

and they make pretty good mom's but not as good as the natives and they're not as disease resistant as the natives, most of which are raised the ''survival of the fittest'' method.

an jfi... i was reading about raising heritage pigs and i find the kabirs similar to other heritage farm animals in that they've been ''bred'' for too many generations and they've lost some of their natural heritage characteristics. for instance, our original birds (group 1) were hatchery birds and didn't have a mom to teach them the finer points of being free range chickens. and our group 1 roosters didn't know how to do his rooster duties (screw and that kinda stuff). some of the hens didn't go broody and they also vary in body types and egg sizes. we raised one pullet from a group 1 hen before we lost our good rooster and she is producing now.
    we bought our 2nd group of hatchery birds (eight chicks) hoping to get a productive rooster, four of the bunch turned out to be roosters, two of which we'll keep. the other two roosters are too good to butcher and we hope to find new homes for them.

in general, Kabirs are pretty mellow birds and some of them love to be held and stroked and they taste like chicken,....

• Informative Informative x 2