Dumaguete Info Search

Language (English) in our own Homes.

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Jack Peterson, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    lol And what did the wife say about that?

2. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    As usual made excuses and really denying the fact that she is always talking her own Language but both the friend and our Daughter have made moves on making her see the error of her ways :thumbsup: As they said to her it maybe OK if it does not include me but where it does she is just going to have to adjust a little. I have adjusted I feel well into her Life all I ask is to meet me 1/2 way. This is not a Rose Coloured Glasses thing, it is over many Years a Relationship & Marriage.

JP :bag::whistling:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    You made a good point.....Lets say you take your wife to America....should she demand only Visayan be spoken in HER home

You are partners.... not master and slave.... Make the point that when ONLY Visayan is spoken....and no one translates ..... it is disrespectful and makes you an outcast in your own home..... does not make you her PARTNER..... It is ok to speak Visayan but include you in the conversation.... do not make you a "potted plant"....or decoration in your own home..... AND the bonus is they will increase their English while you also increase your Visayan.... brings the family together .....does not separate but unites....
    When you demand only English....or German.....or ???? you appear paranoid....create resentment...... make it "you against them" instead of " US "

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My x-wife was a real b*tch about switching dialects when talking to her "friends" so I would never be able to follow. She would quickly switch to Kapampangan or Ilocano when she realized I was trying to follow along with her conversations. She had some really nasty little secrets. If a person runs across a girl that goes out of her way to make sure you aren't trying to learn the language the alarms should be ringing. (My x-wife constantly referred to me as "the kano" as well, that word really gets my blood boiling, no matter what they tell you it is NOT a word of endearment.)

As you said, it needs to go both ways.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430744478,1430744422][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Yes, but the US does not claim to be the 2nd largest Visayan speaking country in the world. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Oz-Roger

Oz-Roger DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +465 / 137
    When in Australia we speak only English, unless my wife is on the phone to Philippines. Even among our friends in Oz, the Filipinas married to Aussies there, speak only English when we are all together. When we are in Phil, my wife speaks Visaya or Tagalog, or Ilonggo, or whatever to her friends and family there, and I do not have a problem with that at all.:cool:..........I lived permanently in Phil with her for some years, and still did not worry about them all not speaking English, because most of my wife's family cannot speak English anyway...........The lady is also fluent in Spanish, and Arabic, and Malay............I just struggle along with English,...............lol:hilarious:..........or should I say Australian.........lol...........:hilarious:.............when in Phil, I let my wife do all the negotiations with Filipinos, and pay all the bills and handle all the problems that require communicating with Filipinos, less hassle that way, works for me. I do not have to be in control at all times........:cool:..........I trust my lady, and she is very competent, and reliable.:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :wink:Well the message has got home, :wink:

JP :happy:

• Like Like x 1
  7. tlrtraveler

tlrtraveler DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +217 / 47
    If that is the general consensus, that there is no way to "retrain" the inhabitants of the house, then the earlier suggestion of cutting funds completely will certainly get the attention of the offending parties. Terminating the helper and rehiring a younger, English speaking person will also drive the point home, with the stipulation that there is NO language spoken by the helper but English. Since you are married, with a house, you cannot simply change partners, unfortunately, so some sort of drastic action will be necessary or the situation you do not like will certainly continue.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I think I have the solution to your problem

image004.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    These on Line things are good for the Words but many of us have found it useless when trying to talk it to a local. I for one commend anyone trying to learn this local language but......................

Jack :bag:

• Agree Agree x 1