Dumaguete Info Search

Largest Iceberg Humans Have Ever Seen

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Rye83, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    If you say so, here's me hand on it: Agreeing to disagree, and yet I have no problem with people who want to save the world and believe in what they are doing. I'm not standing in the way, I'm just saying I'm not playing that game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :biggrin: Tongue in cheek? one thing for sure if we get a Berg here in the PI we will know that Hell has Frozen over :geek:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  3. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The problem with 'agreeing to disagree' is one side says "leave me alone and do what you want", while the other side says "OK, I will leave you alone" and then wants to tax the crap out you to force their side.

Want to significantly reduce carbon emissions? Convince politicians to stop doing the bidding of big coal and existing nuclear industries and remove the regulatory roadblocks requiring compliance of things that have nothing to do with Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors (the equivalent of auto manufacturers convincing politicians all vehicles need seatbelts - sounds good unless you are a motorcycle manufacturer). Clean power, clean fuel for combustion engines, clean drinking water from seawater, anywhere in the world, 24/7/365.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    and no mention of tsunamis???

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  5. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Care to elaborate on Tsunamis? Any thoughts on volcanoes???

My point is, that man is impactful.

The oceans are the biggest CO2 contributors, but at the same time also the biggest absorbers of CO2.

The issue is one of balance, not one of size. All the natural examples have been relatively short in duration, so things tend to go back to an equilibrium. Man on the other hand is always adding.

When the balance is upset things adjust. You can see it when non-native species invade other ecosystems.

Ever seen what a little wind can do?

This is analogous in how a little input over and over at the right time can do some pretty significant damage. How many people who had never seen the video would have thought that a little wind could do that to a bridge? How many people even know what the natural frequency of an object is?

Man is pretty resilient. As long as there is food, water and oxygen man will likely be the last creatures around. I personally don't believe there is some catastrophe in the making, but a I do believe eventually another balance will be found, we just may not like it as much as our current balance. Who knows, if you live an desert and it could become a paradise, so you might even like it more. There are other things that man does. Look at incidences of sickness is polluted cities. How about a swim in this river?

River in Manila

Step one is realizing you play a role, were not even there yet, so steps 2, 3 and 4 are a little premature at this time.

6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That might be due to the geographic location, depth of water, angle it will slide in to the ocean, it might break up into much smaller icebergs, etc.
    I think he meant that the iceberg of that size sliding into the ocean could cause quite a large wave/tsunami. This has happened before when large chunks of mountains/volcanos have slid into the sea. I meant to post the reply above the other day.

7. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Ah, my bad.

8. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    An Ice Shelf can not by definition 'slide into the water' as it is already in (on) the water creating a "shelf". Once broken free, the glacier that formed the shelf can theoretically can flow faster as it is not pushing against the shelf anymore. Increased speed being measured in up to x feet per day, not a cataclysmic, sudden shift like a landslide/volcanic eruption/earthquake.

Also there is no associated sea level rise since again, it is already in the water. The only increase would come from if the glacier feeding the shelf increased speed, the increased ice would be additional ocean water but unlikely to be measurable on a global ocean level scale.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Now here is a great example of why the "dislike" and "troll" buttons should not be on this site. Someone gave this post a "dislike". Somebody PLEASE inform me, what's to dislike about agreeing to disagree?

10. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Some people are just naturally thin skinned... :rolleyes: I received a dislike so went to look at what was the bad thing I had committed, and for the life of me could not see what I said that would have offended anyone, so put it down to either a slip of the mouse or someone with condom like skin who just wanted to make a D**K of themselves... :wink: