Dumaguete Info Search

Law and Order

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Justice911, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    I'm surprised that they are really enforcing the rules. But for how long?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I think it started last thursday,it says only on the highways though. I think they mentioned parking,vendors amongst other stuff.
    Like most things i doubt it will last long.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Overtaking is rarely safe or allowed on city streets. (By overtaking I mean crossing the line into a lane that is meant for traffic going the opposite direction.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    So if they sneak by you on the sidewalk, is that "undertaking" and is that safe and allowed? 'Cause all the trikes, jeepneys and Ceres busses tend to do that.

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,592 / 2,888

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Well, it's safer for the driver. Probably not so much for the pedestrians trying to walk on the lane extension...err, I mean "sidewalk". As for being allowed? Define "allowed" in Pinoy-English.

7. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Enforcing that against motorcycles is ridiculous. 3-/4 wheelers obviously have no business to use the opposing lane just because theirs is blocked, but a motorcycle can always sneak by anywhere and rarely will lead to a roadblock.

Roads are simply not able to accomodate the ever growing amount of cars. I will certainly not wait in line with the cars but use the space that's available. Obviously one should look ahead and check *if* there will be actually space, and this is what some people here lack. But that's the way it goes, and if you don't like it, get out of your rolling fridge and on two wheels as well so this isn't a problem ;-)

I've been to Bali for a month recently, there are no tricycles (which are a problem in itself especially in Dumaguete), but heaps of scooters and motorcycles and traffic flows fine most of the time. People there also drive remarkably faster than here. I remember the same from Hanoi - millions of scooters and traffic just flowed (obviously always taking up any space that's there, be it the wrong lane or not - the direction where more people are going will inevitably take up a larger percentage of the road). Being flexible in using the space that is there is the only way this can work at all.

8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Lane splitting reduces accidents. Jumping into oncoming traffic....not so much.
    AMA: Study Finds Lane-Splitting Increases Rider Safety

Most people have absolutely no business being on a motorcycle. Especially the elderly (though many of them shouldn't even be allowed to operate a vehicle of any kind).

Agree. Roads in Asia were not built with expansion in mind. Their only real options to deal with traffic are overpasses or tunnels.
    FAQ
    (That's an Elon Musk company. They also sell "not a flamethrower" for some reason.)

I was also in Hanoi recently and was rather impressed with their method of driving. Though I wouldn't want to just hop on a motorcycle and head out into that madness myself. Just crossing the road the first few times was intimidating enough.

9. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Yeah. In Indonesia they have scooter drivers picking up random passengers everywhere, just like tricycles here but much less intrusive to surrounding traffic.

Proper public transport with real bus stops, schedules and preferably clean buses that are somewhat suited to inner-city traffic (i.e. not huge like the Ceres ones) etc would also be a great thing. Ideally even free for everybody to use, paid by a toll for private vehicles that drive in the city. But that's a very European idea I admit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Interesting. Didn't know tunnels are actually safe places during earth quakes.

• Agree Agree x 1