Dumaguete Info Search

Laws You Should Know About

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Rye83, May 21, 2015.

1. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I was wed by a judge, applied for a new passport, applied for a marriage visa to Japan so everything were all authenticated by NSO. Then we have to had to "register" in Japan (which is basically what marriage is to them) so they can enter my name to my husband's family register.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,222 / 1,090
    So you were Married in the Philippines, which means no Divorce. Should your Spouse secure a Divorce out side the PI for some lucky Reason I doubt very Much it will be accepted by a Court here for Clearance for you to re marry.
    This is how many and most of use interpret the law as it stands now.
    You mention the PI Embassy (Tokyo) said you could but in reality only a Court can give that order. There is a whole Bag of things to do before you can get that clearance. Chris was right in that Effect. But not if you were as we now know, Married in the PI. Yes! It sucks but..............:wink:

3. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    If I really want to remarry, a faster option would be to renounce my citizenship :roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    Just to chime in with my limited experience in this area, my wife, who acquired her American citizenship a couple of years ago, went to the Philippines embassy in New York to reacquire her Philippines citizenship a few months ago. A very good friend, Filipina, married in the Philippines to an American, but now divorced in the US, accompanied her to do the same thing. She was reminded that she remained married in the eyes of Philippines law, and that her new Philippines citizenship documents must reflect that fact and include her (ex)spouse's name.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    So if I marry my American bf as a naturalized Japanese citizen and then later reacquire my Filipino citizenship, he will say, "yay, I'm single again!" and I say "ugh, I'm still married!" :excited:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,222 / 1,090
    :hmmm: :dizzy:

7. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I suggest you talk to a few lawyers here and they will all tell you otherwise. I know a number of foreigners who have been married here in the RP who did the exact process I did and are now free to remarry in the Philippines and some have done so. Where it is solemnized doesn't matter. All that matters is that the place the divorce was done had legal authority per that countries laws to give said divorce and in a foreigners home country they always have authority. International treaties beat this one. Check your facts as they are clearly wrong.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  8. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    Well Pete, I disagreed because it sounds to me like you are trying to tell Chris that he was off topic. And to me he is not off topic at all. The title of the thread is " Laws You should Know About". The title does not mention anything about a specific country. To me the topic can be the laws of any country. And to me Chris is relating to the Philippi9nes or the U.S. laws. So in the "spirit of the thread" I say Chris is right on target.

9. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 241
    What if you have had a civil marriage in the US and you had a religious wedding in the Philippines?

10. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yes they are. You can get married in the Philippines and get divorced overseas and that divorce/dissolution of marriage will be honored in the Philippines. I personally know two expats that were married to a Filipina in the Philippines and then got divorced (one in Canada and one in the US). One of the Filipina later went on to get married again in the Philippines. Could a Filipino husband and wife do the same thing? Don't know for sure but I suspect that if one were a legal immigrant to another country it could be possible.

• Agree Agree x 1