Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Legends or Myths

1. God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +292 / 17
    My wife is telling me about the Kapre, a Centorian (upper body of a man, lower half horse). It hangs out on a big branch of a large tree, normally acacia or balette, smoking a cigar. They can be good or bad but their stories are used to make kids take their noon time naps because the Kapre stalk during the day.
    To keep them away the kids need their shirts insideout.
    Sounds like a story I would tell my little brother lol.

Another is the Santilmo, a sprit of a dancing fire flame over feilds at night. This story was used to keep kids from sneaking out at night.

In general the balete tree is a home for spirits. Some people refuse to trim the branches for fear of disturbing the spirits, our construction crew was not thrilled about their bunk house being under yhe canopy of ours (but the shade is great)

And, for my brother from the bayou, they do practice voodoo here (called barang) Siquijor does't own it all, it is just the closest. Generally an old lady uses a voodoo doll with needles.

Another: When we were having our house built one of the guys got a cold and needed the bones of a young native chicken to burn so he could inhale the smoke as a cureative. It dudn't work.

Born Breach birth (feet first) the person will have a natural gift of touch (good at massages).

Albino's are a crossbreed of an Engkanto spirit and a woman.

Personal note, I have enjoyed listening to my wife tell me about these things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The stories are myths primarily meant to scare kids (and apparently some adults) to stop them from doing stupid things like running around the jungle at night and getting lost or approaching strangers.

• Agree Agree x 2