Dumaguete Info Search

LIBEL

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Notmyrealname, Jan 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    On the spectrum of reckless to cautious I am very far on the cautious side. I am pleased to be so in a country where we have to watch our backs (plus front and sides). Since being a young man I have had as my mantra 'If in doubt, pull it out'.

I understood that if a libel is repeated, verbally or in writing, then it is also a libel (or slander) by the person who repeated it.

I redacted to ensure I was not identifying any of the persons or places involved. I provided the item as a warning to fellow members and also for us to consider the position of the forum if libels are repeated within it. @Rye83 has mentioned at times an issue about a local restaurant and forbade any mention of it - obviously to protect him and the forum.

Btw, to prevent confusion I should state that 'notmyrealname' is not my non-real surname but is my non-real forename. Glad I cleared that one up! :smile:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Satire/harassment/criticism/rudeness, etc - I think it is all the same here: NOT ALLOWED.

"SATIRE "the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues." All the words I made bold indicate to me that this would be treated as libel/slander here. Remember that any foreigner being involved in politics (and doing any of the above to one politician is helping another) will be deported.

"I would recommend that if you are dissatisfied with something or someone and that you wish for others to know then do not speak with derogatory words." + "State the facts and only the facts." I suggest do not say anything at all - here it is libel to say anything which offends even if it is true.

"... be able to prove/defend your words if called to." It seems it is irrelevant in the law here whether or not it is true!

"Then close your statement with "This my experience and my opinion. I leave you to decide for yourself if this is a place/person you want to do business with, operate on you, etc."" It seems that giving people your opinion means you either say everyone is marvelous OR you libel/slander them!

Btw: The case you give of the Baptist surprises me as I would judge that to be an outrageous defamation of his character. But then, they do say 'the law is an a*s' (no pun intended on the an*l sex reference).

3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    BTW, it is Lible as written and Slander as spoken :bag: Just saying

• Like Like x 1
  4. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    If you call someone a liar here they can have you arrested and jailed. What can you say but "!!!GICOL SDRAWKCASSAB SENIPPILIHP"

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not if you say it directly to them and nobody overhears it. Man up and stop talking about people behind their backs. The defamation laws in the Philippines makes life much harder for cowards. What are all the cowards at the bar talking chismis to do? How will they occupy their meaningless lives without talking about someone with one? :troll:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    There is a law here to deal with talking straight to someones face. I think it's called "unjust vexation" or similar. That may require a witness (?) as you mentioned.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bootlegger

bootlegger DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +216 / 40
    Blood Type:
    O-
    When in Rome, do as the Romans I guess.

8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Sames as shouting at a trike driver.... Get A pair of eyeglasses you blind tw@t

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't really see the problem with the laws. If you are respectful to others (and deal with your disputes in a respectful manner) and mind your own business you don't really have to worry about these laws. I find it a bit ridiculous they need to legislate common decency...but then again, in my experience, it isn't all that common, especially within the local expat community.

Wait, can a "community" sue me for defamation? Uh oh. :nailbiting:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Yeah I guess, generally called a cas action