Dumaguete Info Search

Life

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by expatron, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Incedible BUT True!

:eek: Now this is may not be as Interesting as some of the Stories we have read about BUT it is True and happened TO_DAY! I was going from Spain in to GIBRATAR, This, for those that don't know, is a British Military Ismas in Southern Spain, The R.A.F station serves as a commercial Airport also. The Runway Runs East to West, The main road from the frontier runs North to South and Crosses it about half way, this as you can imagine is a LIVE runway crossing. Well at about 7.30am this Morning, Quite foggy, The lights change and the Barrier drops, The platoon of R.A.F regiment take position, Fully Armed at there designated posts. Hello I thought, what is happening here? I can see the station Squadron, a couple of hawks and a C130, crew milling about. The fog is lifting a little and is only covering the Western side of the runway, the C130 begins to move toward the taxi way, It crosses the Road side and the fog is going quite quickly from the area as the sun is by now quite warm. As with this type of runway, (Into the sea one end and the bay at the other, Smoke bombs and flares are used to scare off birds) after some time NOTHING! the officer of the Platoon was talking to the police, Fingers, arms waving, still no movement. THEN! out of the Smoke/Fog came the delay. A Mechanical Road Sweeper that had been cleaning the Road way, Oblivious I guess, that a Plane was about to take off. Hidden I guess at first by the Fog. All this Military movement, cost and delay for A STREET CLEANER!
    I have not laughed that much for years.

Sorry Guys but this my Adventure To-Day

Jack P. :o

(The Photo is of the C130 Actually taking of some 25 mins later. I was late for the appoinment)

Attached Files:

2. Bebasguy

Bebasguy DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    What the hell. Life doesn't have to be filled with death defying events to be a wonderful adventure. Here I am, 76 years old, working on my fourth marriage (to a 26 year old beauty). Ten kids, that I know of. All except one has at least one college degree, and the one that doesn't is making more money than some of the ones that do! My youngest daughter earned a medical degree and now practices dermatology in Utah. My oldest son received an MBA summa cum laude. One son married a lady who finished first in that year's bar exam. Another daughter married a guy who earned both a medical degree and a law degree. He practices medicine with a twist! About 30 grandkids. A couple of great grandkids.

I was a university professor at Seattle University. Taught as a TA at the University of Washington. Taught at a community college. Owned a commercial real estate brokerage firm with national clients. Owned and operated three Dairy Queen restaurants and numerous other restaurants. Partnered with a couple other guys who bought out an operating restaurant franchisor with 30+ units in operation. Then turned around within six months and resold it to Perkins restaurants for a million more than we paid for it.

I've build and remodeled more houses and apartments than I can remember. At one time I managed upward of 400 apartment units.

Owned and operated a 7-11 type store for a year. (Worst investment/job ever!!)

Hiked the Olympics and Cascades extensively. Boated many summers on Puget Sound.

Made and lost (mostly through divorces) a couple million, at least.

But the most important part (to me, at least) is to realize that I have grown and changed for the better over the years. Sure, I have regrets for the many dumb, hurtful things I have done to others at times. I think I've atoned for some of them. Can't do a thing about some of the others, so I try not to let guilt ruin the time I have left.

So here I am, living up the hill in Valencia. I'm growing veggies and turkeys. I'm in the process of adopting a relative of my girl friend and loving the chance to be a "dad" again.

Now, if I can avoid the insane drivers around here, I just might make it to 90!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Ya this is what I hoped for in this thread, Everyones experiences have a place weather good or bad as long as we survive :smile:. As said, life doesn't have to be death defying to be one hell of an adventure.

More stories anyone?
    Ron

4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, I am a very boring person, got 2 times arrested, once when I was 16 after school when the police thought I was part of a bank-robbery. 2 hours later after 3 eyewittnesses laughed I was free.

2nd time with Iron Maiden when we played football in the Stadium of Saarbruecken at 3 am with mag-lites. Funny that the Band was longer in the cell than the techs were.

One really interesting guy I had a long chat (back than it was actually 2 or more people talikng to each other-just to explain for younger members) with is Karheinz Brandenburg, who invented something which made 99.9% of you guys to little criminals (including me); back than I told him that his development is terrible and does not fulfill my requirements for that product, today I still think the same but have not many options here.
    (I need to be thankful for that thread as i did not even think about that guy since at least 10 years)

Well, I played a kind of with Franz Beckenbauer's, Steffi Grafs, Boris Beckers and Helmut Kohls @ss... and that all in 2 hours and got paid for it.

and to what brought me all that ... being care-taker of an online-zoo about dumaguete...

5. OP
    OP
    expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Thanks Rhoody, I'm part of the zoo.:D

6. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    HAPPY SHE & ME..... Great I really enjoyed my time in Iran.....My best friend was an everyday police officer (Mortiza Nabavi) we use to hike the mountains behind Tehran every weekend....The youngest General in the Shah's Army....and the most charismatic was General Kostradad....he was an excellent military tactician....a hero of the Kurdish Wars....but only a fair chess player..... I love history and Iran was buried in it.... it is personally exciting for me to stand in history.....Many of you Europeans grew up amid history..... but America is only 250 years old.... to stand where Alexander the Great once stood..... to feel history is different for me

To tell the truth....the adventures I cherish most do not involve exotic lands and famous people....

Where I grew up as an impoverished child was on the Oregon coast (Gold Beach).... our entertainment was simple....in the summer we would go to the "head of the bar" (as far up river you could go without a boat).....and swim.....there was a US Mail boat that would come by daily.....it was filled with tourists all eager to see the "Copper Canyon" of the Rogue River..... when they passed.....we would all stick our bare asses out of the water....,.the tourists would all snap our picture..... often wonder how many picture albums across America have my naked @ss in them

7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Rhoody, I can understand playing with Steffi Grafs' @ss, but playing with Boris Becker and Helmut Kohl's @ss is... but hey if you got paid for it what the hell.
    ROFL:D:D

8. Bebasguy

Bebasguy DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Someone mentioned getting arrested. I forgot to include that part of my life. 18 years old, broke into a sporting good store by going through a skylight in the ceiling. I was bent on stealing some pistols and ammo. I'd been in the store about five minutes when I heard several car doors slam shut. I peeked out the front window and saw what looked like 1,000 police cars. I panicked. Obviously I had tripped a silent alarm somewhere. I managed to get into the business next door, which was a carpet shop. I slid under an opening in a couple of big rolls of carpet to hide. The cops came in, shined their flash lights all around. Then one of them yelled, "All right, we know where you are. Come out with your hands up." Being a very dumb @ss, I thought he had spotted a stray foot or something so I yelled, "OK, ok. Here I come." Thinking about it years later, I realized the police really didn't have a clue where I was hiding.

The next morning my picture was on the front page of the Yakima Herald, in handcuffs, being led up the back stairs of the police station. Spent 30 days in the county jail. Sentenced to two years' probation, which I successfully completed with no problem.

It was tough going back to my high school because EVERYBODY had seen my picture in the paper. But I kept my mouth shut and my head down and was able to finish my senior year. Now you know the REST of the story. lol

9. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    Not a bad idea.....I think I will hold a family class on CPR....Mouth to mouth....and the Heimlich Maneuver.....
    My wife was going to be a nurse.... until I tore my toe nail off ..... all that blood and she changed majors

10. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    BEBASGUY..... At least you were a genuine crook.....I was just STUPID

San Diego California....summer of 1959....Mission Beach.... I was bragging to a buddy about my ability to negotiate small openings.... I pointed to a small broken window in the back of the indoor swimming pool....." I can even get through that "...... the bet was on.....about half way through the entire cathedral style window crashed in....broken glass everywhere

We ran but they caught us with ease.... I was thrown into jail as a "burglar" .....got the deluxe treatment.... fingerprints.....mugshot....line up.....interrogation.....
    When I complained about the food they simply said....if the food was good everyone would want to be in here..... I was terrified..... for all I knew my cell mate was a child molester???.... Finally my parents worked a deal with the owners of the swimming pool
    and they released me.....I took a deep breath and stepped into the beautiful California sunshine....only to be arrested by the Navy Shore Patrol and thrown into the brig.....and it started all over again.