Dumaguete Info Search

Liquor Ban

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by btd, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    My guess is a lot of people with no work to go to and a bunch of relief money in hand will party until they are broke.
    In my home town every month the welfare cheques are paid. For about a week after cheque day the number of drug overdoses skyrockets. DUIs and drunken bar brawls and asaults are high. After the party is over the welfare people line up at food bank until the next cheque arrived.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    But for all that, the town officials do not have the wisdom to ban alcohol for the entire town, rich, middle class and poor. How can this be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    liquor bans around elections are the rule here, and I think there's a few other countries in the (developing) world that have them. The motive appears to be the same as with the current liquor ban - they're afraid of people doing irrational things under the influence.

And I think they're probably right with that. "responsible" drinking aka knowing when to stop before you do anything stupid isn't a very common skill here. Its just collateral damage that responsibly drinking expats like ourselves are suffering from that now :wink:

nice move about the lotto - I wonder why i didnt see any of those yellow boxes burnt to the ground as a result. That lottery business is a thing that surely should stay banned, forever...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+

Elections are one thing. But this extended ban appears headed in the direction of a new normal. Authorities may prefer the present, less raucous situation amongst the abusers and continue it forever, for all we can see. The US did that once but the public was able to vote it out.

This ban has no expiration date. It will not be voted on (especially by expats).

Lotto (I didn’t know about this ban) is another non-covid ban of things that make us evil.

We may find ourselves in a teetotalin’, non-gambling society which I think totally changes its character. None of that affects me personally per se, like most of us, I’m not that much of a drinker, never a gambler myself, still it seems a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I agree - problem is I note so many irrational things being done by the sober.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  6. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Yes - the 'new normal' will include measures governments wanted to introduce but never had the excuse to do so. I have read for a few years now about the desire to control money by making societies cashless - in this way it is easier to tax and to steal some from your citizens if your feckless policies lead to economic failure. Now it looks like they have their excuse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Ummm - more likely to spill it if driving too fast?

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    It'll never continue indefinitely. San Miguel Corporation won't allow it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    To create a level playing field, only senior citizens should be allowed to purchase liquor.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Even with the harshest of methods they didn't manage to make a real dent in illegal drug consumption in the past, so I don't think anybody in their right mind will attempt to outlaw alcohol, criminalizing even larger parts of the population.

It'll not only hurt the local alcohol producing industry (although they could attempt to ramp up production of exportgrade stuff this won't be too easy short term) but also tourism. There's not too big a market for alcohol free vacations I think. Add to that the loss of tax income and I don't see how they could possibly do that.

Unless they prepare for a muslim takeover :wink:

• Agree Agree x 5