Dumaguete Info Search

Liquor Ban

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by btd, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You likely speed. I believe 80 is the maximum on national highways and 20-40 in city limits and other populated areas. The speed limits are pretty low compared to Western standards, and probably for good reason.

Doesn't matter. There is a that law regulates speed limits in the country. It's on you to know it. There are some speed limit signs on the island, though they are sparse and easily missed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Yes, I realise that ignorance of the law is no defence. Same everywhere. I was just trying to tease out of others here whether anyone actually knows what the general limits are?
    My little car is unlikely to be seen exceeding speed limits, but if my ambition to obtain a decent sized m/bike is realised, maybe I'll be in danger of a few unlawful acts!

3. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    theyve been using laser "guns" on NLEX in Luzon already 6 years ago. And there it's really unfair - without trikes pedestrians and dogs you could actually drive much faster than the 100 or 120 allowed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Speed limits in the Philippines
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
    [​IMG]
    The general speed limit in the Philippines is 60 km/h on most highways and 100 km/h is the maximum on most expressways. The speed limit sign is a red circle with numbers inside as in most countries including Japan, Thailand and Malaysia.

Speed limits at expressways[edit]
    [1]

• Maximum Speed for cars and 400cc motorcycles - 100 km/h
    • Maximum Speed for trucks and buses (except SCTEx and TPLEx) - 80 km/h
    • Minimum Speed for all vehicles (except NAIAx) - 60 km/h
    • Maximum Speed in NAIAx - 60 km/h
    Speed limits at highways[edit]

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
  6. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    And this: "The problem with the law is since it was enacted more than 5 decades ago, the speed limits set on some roads may be outdated already. "

The thing to keep in mind is that, if you drive like you would in any western country, you are almost always driving too fast and someone might use that against you in case of an accident.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Just what a young lady said to me upon first inspecting my manhood.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. dauinbrit

dauinbrit DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 6
    What have speed limits got to do with the liquor ban?!

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  9. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Good question. And my question is, what has the liquor ban have to do with COVID19? One could say that having commercial drinking establishments open discourages social distancing but banning sale for home consumption makes little sense to me. It is as if there us some anti-alcohol agenda at play, perhaps based on people’s personal religious beliefs, and people are taking advantage of a bad situation to create a prohibition. However, I cannot connect any of this to a reduction of deaths due to COVID19. If there were, other countries would enact similar bans but it’s not banned in the country I come from and probably not EU, UK or ANZ, which have plenty of expertise in SARS type respiratory diseases, at least not that I’m aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    They banned alcohol sales on the eve of elections last year - the ban actually took place on Mothers' Day and even included restaurants. I am sure this would never happen in most Western countries but they must worry here about alcohol-induced craziness.

But, as you say, overall it really does not make sense - same with stopping the lotto, just a big loss of income that was avoidable (excluding ECQ), but in that case they sold tickets and banned the lotto afterwards! Smart move!

• Agree Agree x 2