Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Living on the Australian OAP in The Philippines

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Brian_Goddard, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Bamboo furniture is quite cheap...much cheaper than the extra you will be paying per year for the crap furniture you get at a "furnished" apartment. Best to just save up and buy your own, it will pay for itself.

I did say if your standards were low. There are very small places for rent in the 2-5k range in the area. I've seen some that were no better/bigger than b-huts in Afghanistan, which I am personally quite comfortable in, and some that were quite nice for the price (small bedroom & private bathroom).

2. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I think you will find the pension will reduce when you have been out of Australia for 6 weeks and then reduce further after 6 months. Depends on what additional allowances you receive. Also there is no direct deposit into the Philippines. You will have to set up some form of cash transfer.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Brian_Goddard

Brian_Goddard DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 6
    Hi Philpots greetings from a fellow Aussie
    I have been out of Australia a long time so my pension is stable, and should not be reduced. I have based my figures on what i get in Thailand and converted that to Peso's
    Interesting point about No direct deposit from Centrelink, the main issue might be about opening an account at a local Bank. I guess if one shopped around some banks would be pro-active to opening an account. Transferwise and Orbit are very similar in what ends up your account, at today's exchange rate about 68.000 Peso.
    I am thinking i should upgrade my Budget to $2000.00 that would bring in 75,76 thousand peso PCM
    PS do you have a brother in Sydney? Part of my Brit family are Potts from the midlands take care nice to receive your post

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Brian_Goddard

Brian_Goddard DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 6
    Hi thank you for your input
    I am starting to wonder if the Philippines is cheaper than Thailand and is a desirable place. I have been under the impression that my AU$ would go further in the Philippines than Thailand. I guess it all depends on location I live in Ban Phea and costs would be cheaper than Hua Hin on the opposite coast thank you for your excellent coments regards Brian

5. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    #2 Best Answer
    …..That is not right, your pension can be paid directly into a phils bank account, only difference is you will be paid monthly, instead of fortnightly...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Brian...I think you can get by fine with your budget; I'm sure I could if I was single. It really all depends on your lifestyle and where you choose to live in Negros. I think is was great that the previous poll was posted, should give an idea on what many folks are spending...I assume many with families as well.

When I'm home I know our biggest expenditure is on food. I'm not a huge fan of most Filipino food but we save a lot by cooking at home and BBQ often. If you like to cook you are looking at a huge savings compared to going out for meals. With all the years you have lived in Asia I'd guess you could put together some food with both local and what you can get from some places that have more Western ingredients to put together some nice meals. Find your way around some of the local markets, veggies and fruit are quite reasonable. Chicken and pork is also priced decent.

With how cheap, and relatively convenient trikes and buses are I would not be looking at getting a motor bike. If you were to live outside of Dumaguete a trike to a bus stop would get you to Dumaguete to catch a movie or some interactions with other expats. Walking distance to the highway and you can just flag down a bus.

We only rented places in Tanjay, with little furniture provided before we built our house but the rent was much less for those places than you have budgeted for. Obviously not around Dumaguete and the wife made all arrangements but they all were 2-3 bedroom places. I'm not familiar with the rents in and around Dumaguete so other responses are relevant.

Obviously the first step would be to come over to Dumaguete for a couple weeks, check out the city and also look around some areas that are a bit away and see if it is a place that would work for you and your lifestyle.

Best of luck.

Shawn

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    As far as I understood it the pension is not payable by Centrelink into a Philippine bank unless it has changed recently. I think $2000 would be reasonably good unless a hungry female hooks into you. I have no connection to any Potts. Its an old school nickname from a long time ago.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    Brian_Goddard

Brian_Goddard DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 6
    I have just changed my payment from my Thai Bank so that I can be flexible, Heading to Melbourne new year and looking at doing a recce about March. Ps It looks like Thai Immigration have added another Hoop to Jump through next year Year Compulsory health insurance for long term Extensions

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Brian_Goddard

Brian_Goddard DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 6
    I am on a OAP old age Pension and live on that quite comfortably in Thailand the Main issue is Thai Immigration rules are getting very hard to meet and more changes next Year Thanks for your comments

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Brian_Goddard

Brian_Goddard DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 6
    Hi Shawn whilst i share your concerns and Appreciate your comments I feel the best way for me is to Rent say an upmarket unit but away from a tourist area 18,000 peso plus power is doable from my research this is roughly $550.00 AU about 25% of my funds, Visa costs are basically the same as Thailand counting Letters from Embassy ( now no longer available) In fact I woulld have to leave a house full of furniture behind and with expats leaving in droves no real chance to sell. At least if I rent a fully furnished unit I can walk away OK I accept I may have to buy a few items, Microwave, Decent mattress small electric stove and so on.
    Reekay who posts a lot of blogs and is on the move every few months seems to make that system work for him. any way I hope to do a recce in march and find out if I am on the Mark or a dreamer boots on ground is worth the effort for good intell

• Like Like x 2