Dumaguete Info Search

Local land prices, are they crazy?

Discussion in 'Property Development' started by AlwaysRt, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Yes I can see this But and there is always a but seller has no money to buy new property and in all and intents and purposes buyer has a property not fully paid for, Just seems illogical to me, What if the Buyer wants to move in while all this silliness is going on and the seller loses his next purchase because of with holding of Money? to me, you sell something you get the Money and if we buy something we have to pay to get it. Much works needs to be done on this Mortgage issue methinks. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. PIfan

PIfan DI Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 9
    If Abu Sayyaf as in the Negros Chronicle article is looking for foreigners, I would expect that to be the pin that pricks the bubble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Couldn't agree more. And even with all the risk and/or headache mentioned in this thread you still can't have the property in your name. Absolutely no way I would ever buy property (aka donate property to a local) in the Philippines. Far too much risk, not nearly enough of a reward...I'm just not that charitable/trusting of a guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  4. Michael. B

Michael. B DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +194 / 12
    If you are legally married any title deed will be in both names, the only stipulation being the Filipino name must be first followed by yours, and should the Filipino die then you become the legal owner of the land, the only way a foreigner can own land in the Philippines. Any attorney worth his salt knows this and should submit documents to the registrar shown the Filipino name married to the foreigner.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    This reminds me of what I had overheard when I was at Tokyo Phil Embassy the other day. A guy possibly working for a lawyer was trying to convince a married Filipino to buy property in the Phils using widow as her status so that her Japanese husband will have no claims in the future.

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    And then you will be forced to sell the property by the courts. If you don't sell it you will likely also lose any court battles to next of kin that claim the property is rightfully theirs through the inheritance laws. If your spouse dies and you don't have a Filipino child to the property under their name you will eventually lose the property...but even then it is still not yours.
    Absolutely horrible advice. Completely unnecessary for her to go through all that. The Japanese husband would NEVER be able to take the property from her without her consent.

It is very simple, you can not own land if you are not a Filipino citizen. There are no loopholes, the courts will not allow you to have land in your name. Go read PI Supreme Court rulings for yourself. I have yet to read one where the ruling went in favor of the foreigner. If you find one/know of one please send me a link. None of this "I heard a guy saying/a friend of a friend told me" stuff, let's see some high court rulings...none of this municipal/regional court stuff either as they are regularly overturned by the higher courts.

7. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    True. I should have said that I didn't see it as an advice but just a typical scene outside Philippine government offices where you find all sorts of swindlers. I assumed that everybody thinks falsification of public documents is a stupid thing to do.
    I should have added that she wouldn't need her husband's signature if she wanted to sell the property according to the guy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    :biglol:

There is some thinking going on alright, usually not with the right head though.

9. birdwatch

birdwatch DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +308 / 188
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I suggest you check with Zoning (section/department whatever they call it) at the municipality to check if the land you're purchasing suits your needs, for example, the land may look like or stated in the title as agricultural but if it belongs to the industrial zone, you might go through difficulties securing a Noreco permit if you want to build pig pens. However, if you get the permit for the house first, and then later build a "backyard piggery", that might be easier.

10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    You may be right here but If your land was or is Agricultural, you will need a DAR (Department of Agriculture Reform) Easement to build anything. This is then put to the BIR for Zoning, It can cost some but..................:rolleyes: better safe than Sorry, We have 2 Houses in our Barangay that must come down as the owner did not follow Advice and a demolish Order was issued, as always, Buyer beware of the land you try to Buy

• Informative Informative x 3