Dumaguete Info Search

low carb anyone?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by kelpguy, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Do you mean carbohydrate and not fat?

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No I didn't mean carbs. But it was an incorrect statement, kind of.

3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    As fats are much more complex molecules than carbohydrates then they take a long time to digest, whereas simple carbohydrates may digest very quickly.

Refined carbs have lost the fibre and so digest very rapidly and make the person feel hungry soon after consumption. Also, insulin kicks in but over-produces, thus causing a 'sugar drop' and craving for more sugar.

As I understand it, protein is especially important in a diet, especially when combined with muscle-building exercise - muscles use up calories faster than other tissue types and so help maintain low weight.

Many people have the attitude that fats should be excluded from the diet as fats-beget-fats, but they contribute to overall health (e.g in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins) - a sensible diet must include all food groups and, as many here already stated, it is more about moderation than elimination.

Your own weight loss of 18kg in 4 months is very impressive but as you are a young fit man, I am not sure many of the more sedentary elderly can match you - I include myself in that. As you also stated, genetics is important - seemingly more important than ever thought as twin-studies have shown opposite reactions to certain diets. Perhaps diets need to be very personal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    :thumbsup: Thanks for the correction.

I was absolutely NOT fit. Not by any stretch of the imagination, though I was quite good at doing mental gymnastics to get myself to believe I wasn't actually clinically obese. At my heaviest I was 220-230lbs (160-165 now) and during that time I somehow thought I looked (and was) actually healthy. I'm sure I would be considered fit now but that certainly wasn't the case 2 months ago.

Saying you can't lose weight because of your age seems more like an excuse. Find some low intensity cardio you can do in a pool if walking is too high impact for your body. Use very light weights. Wheel yourself around in your wheelchair. Work around any injuries you may have. Do whatever you have to do to get your heart rate up a bit, which shouldn't take too much if you haven't exercised in a while.

Also:

:meh: What was your excuse again? Yeah, the 72 year old granny in the video has obviously been doing that for awhile, and I would definitely struggle on some of those exercises, but there are some beginner ones in there for people without much strength. Can't do a push up, do one off the wall at an angle. Lift your legs up to do a leg raise, get some resistance bands.

Genetics was one of the mental gymnastics I used to use. Turns out that, like most other humans with "normal" genetics, if I eat too much and remain inactive I put on weight. If I workout and eat less than I burn I lose weight, macros don't really matter. I'm not some genetic marvel that science needs to take a look at, I'm about as genetically unimpressive as one can be. The vast majority of people are not genetically different enough for small variances in their macros to make the much of difference. Making minor changes to macro/caloric intake are things that elite athletes need to do to get that slight edge over the competition. Most people are lying to themselves: they underestimate their caloric intake and they overestimate their physical activity. Or they simply don't care that they are obese...which is fine I suppose.

• Like Like x 1