Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: LTO- local driver's license conversion

1. Philpots

Philpots DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +317 / -1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    4. Can a foreigner spouse or child of a Balikbayan avail this privilege when traveling to the Philippines alone?

A foreign national spouse and/or child of a Balikbayan may only be given the said privilege if he/she is traveling with his/her Balikbayan spouse or parent.

But this Balikbayan "privilïge" seems only to apply to periods of stay without a specific visa and does not appear to carry with it all the rights that a Philippine citizen would be given when entering as a Balikbayan. So, whether or not you are allowed to drive on a foreign licence would seem to me to be in the hands off the gods or the whim and fancy of the officer pulling you over.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Philpots

Philpots DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +317 / -1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Easy to find and simple to Follow. (From the official government site) The reference to a students licence is not applicable, obviously, for a foreigner already holding a valid licence issued in his or her's country.

CHECKLIST OF REQUIREMENTS

General Requirements:
    1. Duly accomplished original Application Form for Driver’s License (ADL)
    2. Electronically transmitted medical certificate in LTO prescribed form (present hard copy)

Additional Requirements:
    NON-PROFESSIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE (NPDL)
    1. Original valid Student-Driver's Permit
    2. In addition, for foreigner, original and one photocopy of passport with entry date of at least one (1) month and visa duration of at least six (6) months from date of application, or if born in the Philippines, original and one photocopy of birth certificate duly authenticated by National Statistics Office (NSO) / Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ThatNewGuy

ThatNewGuy DI Member

Ratings:
    +85 / -0
    The reason I ask, is because I was told the same. BUT....If you read the government website, you will... probably understand it says something else.

Basically a fixer offered me to get it for 7000, I declined.

I was refused licence..

I still managed to get it without fixer, because I read the regulation carefully and proceeded to insist.

I have my licence now, I don't have 12 months visa..nor been 12 months.

Read the government website and don't give up.

I am able to write this because I did not use a fixer, if I was to use one...I would be pretty stupid exposing myself here.

Just a heads up to everyone

• Like Like x 2