Dumaguete Info Search

LTO- local driver's license conversion

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by ThatNewGuy, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
  2. hiddenuser

hiddenuser Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

well fortunately my acr is up to date re address. they never questioned me on the changes and i never made a change except at the time i actually moved and then only when the next acr renewal came up. thanks for the heads up on that. its just the drivers license that LTO would not let me change. i will try again next year on my next renewal for that! its pretty hard to take any of this seriously when they don't

• Like Like x 1
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    But I like @Show Pony and he can have as many LOLs as he wants. I like VERY MANY, probably 99.99%, of people here - just get perplexed by those who write nonsense about a subject they know nothing about (I had dogs for 40+ years but it does not make me a vet, I rode a motorbike but does not make me anything like the bike experts on this Forum). And in regards to the use of LOL - CONTEXT is everything.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  4. justjone

justjone DI Junior Member Blood Donor

Mechanical Design Engineer
    Ratings:
    +29 / 17
    Blood Type:
    A-
    As with any endeavour try and try again.
    My experience is you need 12months of visa to satisfy LTO rule. Of course you can't get that at the moment and immigration while sympathetic can only issue 6month tourist visa just before the previous one expires and not in advance. I spoke to immigration about my impending 90 day expiry and the helpful lady suggested to ask LTO to call them.
    In the end I successfully converted in a different LTO office with my existing licence and ACR and no issues with visas. As always YMMV

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Here's what I found at the LTO website (location of the information changed, it's now here )

CONVERSION OF VALID FOREIGN DRIVER'S LICENSE TO NON-PROFESSIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
    Requirements
    1. Duly accomplished Application for Driver's License (ADL) form
    2. Presentation of original and submission of one (1) photocopy of valid passport showing the first page, visa page and latest date of entry in the Philippines
    3. Presentation of copy of the medical certificate. (Electronically transmitted to LTO by the accredited medical clinic)
    4. Presentation of original and submission of one (1) photocopy of valid foreign Driver's License. If the foreign Driver’s License is not in English language, original and one (1) photocopy of official English translation
    5. Presentation of expired NPDL / PDL if applicable
    No mention of any requirement with regard to visa.

Another thing is that apparently LTO Dumaguete currently issues only very limited number of new drivers licenses.
    I heard (about 2 months ago, when my asawa applied for her license) that they issue no more than 100 a month (no idea why, maybe a shortage of available plastic cards??).
    Obviously that will affect any foreigners inquiring about conversion also.

6. justjone

justjone DI Junior Member Blood Donor

Mechanical Design Engineer
    Ratings:
    +29 / 17
    Blood Type:
    A-
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    This has been a problem for a long time. It never stopped them from issuing licenses before. Your receipt served as your license until the plastic became available.

I don't even bother with it anymore. I'll get to it when I get to it (or when I hear it is no longer a hassle).

• Like Like x 1
  8. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Same with the number plates. As discussed already. I don't bother anymore and I also stopped going to LTO inquiring when they will be available again.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    They refused to issue me with a licence (not because I am an ape) as they said my 'Visa' was not a Balikbayan because it did not have a 'BB' on it - it was issued as a Balikbayan, it was for a whole year and I have never had a problem on exit.

Like many employees here, they don't have a clue about their own job - they just pretend they do and enjoy what glorification it gives them.

Now I have a private chauffeur - also acts as a wife.

• Like Like x 2
  10. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    is it a chauffeur or a chauffeuse ? Sorry, just joking.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1