Dumaguete Info Search

LTO set to implement helmet law in two weeks’ time

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by clear copy, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReBelBiKeR

ReBelBiKeR DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    seems that the helmet law is being contested in a nationwide level, hahaha.
    i dont see it as an advantage to us more than it is a disadvantage. but one thing's for sure -- they have to refine that law for it to 'fit'... if you've read the actual RA, it hasn't addressed a lot, which is why it's wide open to a lot of critics. IMO

2. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    When you look at the national helmet law from a much broader perspective you see a very scary trend and truth here in the Philippines. Laws get passed aimed at protecting and helping people however the people are extremely resistant to any change that would impact them at all. Yet these same people of course are unhappy with the way things currently work all across the board which doesn't make much sense. It does seem Filipino's act like a death sentence asking them or telling them by law they have to change or adjust their habits. Even if it improved the country dramatically or could help countless others.

This all speaks extremely poor of the Filipino people and their attitude for extreme stubborn attitudes while they all clamour wanting more jobs, more income equality, more from the government,

Look at how many laws are in the books completely ignored because the vast majority of people ignore them. Not just driving laws and the Helmet Law but tons of others. What would happen if to help traffic the traffic guys and gals were given the ability to ticket and impound anyone on sight not obeying traffic laws and actually pressured to do so? What would happen if no littering laws were enforced and all the Filipino's who daily litter were arrested and fined? What if it was illegal to burn your trash to clean up the smokey cities even if free garbage pickup was offered?

These people say they want change but fight it at every corner because it impacts them making them do something just a little different or requiring just a little responsibility.

3. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Congratulation "ChMacQueen", a very good picture of the Filipino mindset, the reason for it is in my opinion the Church, the Educational system and the Pacific Islanders general attitude of "Don't worry be happy", nobody is ever going to change that!

4. ReBelBiKeR

ReBelBiKeR DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    so pointing a finger at the filipino mindset alone could be helpful in changing this helmet problem?
    im sorry i thought we could do more.

O-|

5. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Like what exactly?

6. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Regarding the Traffic Laws, I see it this way, in the past we had only well to do people that send their kids to good schools and in general had/have a more disciplined "Mindset", that were able to afford a means of transportation for private use, nowadays, on the other hand you have a LOT of people that have very poor or no Education and with that no manners, discipline and no obedience to the law, you can not argue with this kind of people they live on a different Codex than the educated middle class, I would guess that there are about 50% of the population being supported by some family member that works abroad, that support is used to buy Vehicles and a lot of people have inherited properties that now have been sold with great gain and so we now have a lot of ignorant and uneducated Drivers on the roads.... So how are we going to get them educated? Frankly, I don't see any chance that this could be done....

7. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Simple Mind, good points and I concur. I came out of a store yesterday and a small easyride driver was sitting on my bike smoking and dropping ashes on the seat. I told him you guys have to respect for other's property, among other choice words.
    Like you and KTM allude to, what can be done about it? Negros Oriental is dirt poor and not much goes out to the educate the people. In Bacong, we pay double property tax with half going for education; however, if you look at the condition of the schools, you have to wonder where the money goes? So I doubt the education system is the near-term answer. They say the Filipinos are proud people, proud of what? I doubt things will ever change.

8. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ..I just now noticed that there is an ICC sticker on my single burner electric stove thingy I bought at Lee a few months ago

Same sticker that is on the helmets

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    ICC (Import Commodity Certification) is required on many items imported to the Philippines for resale. Most anything that could be termed as needed to be "Safety rated" must have an ICC sticker, from electrical fixtures to sewing machines.

Larry

10. Diver

Diver DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Put the stove on your helmet.

Greetings J.diver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.