Dumaguete Info Search

LTO set to implement helmet law in two weeks’ time

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by clear copy, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Who does the testing, and where it done?

2. ReBelBiKeR

ReBelBiKeR DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    @ktm -- "like what exactly?" -- i wouldnt want to limit or probably take away ones creativity. but in light of our topic about helmets and helmet law, it doesn't matter whether the gov implements it or not, let's just do what we know or what we feel is right. if you were to ask me, put on a helmet for high speed trips or for trips more than a kilometer away. IMO it not only helps save your own life, you're helping build an awareness that contributes a positive imprint in the the locals minds.

@simple mind -- first of all, this mindset is not unique to filipinos. its everywhere, its in every country, its in poverty, and (you're right) its also present in families with gutsy kids who are left behind by the 50% citizens who work abroad. so the question is: who are left here with them that they see around the streets, that they see as their neighbors, that they see at groceries or fastfood chains? that 3rd world folk look up to? its us, and who are we matters to them whether these onlookers admit it or not.

and you and ChMacQueen are both right, i feel it too. and it really pisses me off to see spunky kids without discipline on the road that perhaps reflects the discipline in their lives. but giving up on them is not an option for me. filipino or not, i live in this small island where unfortunately a diverse crowd is crammed, and it is at the least my responsibility to show support whenever the opportunity would arise. someone meets an accident? pull over, if they're still conscious help them up, talk some sense into them, make them realize their mistake while it's fresh. there are lots of ways actually - on or off the streets.

3. ReBelBiKeR

ReBelBiKeR DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

LOL... this will be lighter in the head. ask a tinsmith to make a helmet of the stove, tell him not to damage the icc sticker.

4. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's the lack of parental discipline and education about the social graces. You've seen these kids in restaurants with yayas following them around-unable to tell the kid "No" etc

5. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Whilst I appreciate your sentiment, personally, I find it a 'tadge' naive to believe that the overwhelming majority of locals give a d*mn what foreigners/or other responsible persons actually do on the road safety/ comply with existing laws side of things, etc. Of course, if we do something 'wrong' in their eyes, then of course, they'll take notice, but safety? I don't think so.
    I've ridden bikes for over 40 years, in just about every country I've ever visited or worked in (around 23% of all countries in the world), this is the only one I've been in that steadfastly refuses to obey it's own national laws.
    As for me, I wear two different helmets depending on which bike I use, Caberg modular/ full face for big bike/long distance/high speed trips and an imported, open style one for round town when I'm on my shopping bike.
    I'm sure most locals don't give care what I'm wearing, as I don't care whether they do or don't either, their problem not mine. Just my opinion too.

6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I am formally filing for an amendment to the helmet law:
    All helmets will have an illuminated bright red tail light in place of the ICC sticker.

Pedicabs, at night, need your help with that one

7. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    blah blah blah HELMET thing for Negros Oriental, they should have fix their roads/streets first. Very bumpy ride specially that road bound to Bahumpandan, Cantil-e, Bound to Valencia, Back of Daro, Some inner roads like bound to Palimpinon, silliman heights. Tired of replacing shock absorbers, motor springs, tires driving around on this city. You get accident by trying to escape on those big holes specially after rainy days. The roads lack of warning signs. Is this what they called "METRO" Dumaguete? Lol! I believe people here rarely got accident because of NO HELMET, they drive slow because of the bumpy roads. Maybe they should be strict of no headlights, no warning lights, NO LICENSE and educate those bad drivers specially students they're fun of double over taking. Maybe they should divert to that instead of requiring people to wear helmet. Like do I have to wear a helmet, when buying to a store just 100 - 300 meters away? LOL! Maybe they should require helmets to those people driving a long drive run. Not inside the city, its too small.

8. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    just think, I was called to Holy Child Hosp. 2 nights ago. My friend crashed his honda 200, and when I was there another guy was laying on the bed after crashing his honda 400. don't know what to say, except both are in pain but ok. sh*t happens. lucky both were wearing helmets.
    Ron

9. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    It's true you don't get accident because of not wearing a helmet but get serious head injuries.
    Just go to Provicial Hospital and find out how many people arrive there everyday with head injuries, most of them are fatal.

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Just going to provincial hospital even when you are perfectly healthy can be fatal! You must have serious brain damage to consider going there in the first place.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.