Dumaguete Info Search

LTO set to implement helmet law in two weeks’ time

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by clear copy, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    The simple way out of this pickle is, just don't stop for them anymore.

:smile:

Larry

2. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The police use XR200 chase bikes for those who would 'not stop'.

I'd go to Dgte police station and talk to someone in charge about the sticker thing.

There are plenty of Filipino owned bikes running around with no sticker, or a sticker that's years old.

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

There was a directive issued by the head of the LTO a year or two ago, that stated to the effect they are not allowed to physically stop you, and are not allowed to give chase, in order to protect the public. Since then I have gone through over a dozen checkpoints, I slow down, wave, and proceed on through. The last time was just last week between Bacong and Dauin, there was an officer on an XR200 sitting there, he just watched us go by.

Larry

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Get a bike bigger than 200cc then.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I have seen them chase after people several times.

6. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why eLse would there be 3 XR200s staggered and poised after the point of the checkpoint?

Is that directive online somewhere?

7. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    I've never seen the chase bikes set up, ever.

What i do see is bikes just pulled over on the side of the road and everyone sitting by staring at the road and that's my indication there's a checkpoint about 75 feet ahead. The police stand in the middle of the road and have a sign out on the road. and they stare at all the people sitting on their bikes waiting for the checkpoint to dismantle. Bizarre...and defies any logic. But I'm not surprised.

Quite a funny story from about 2 weeks ago. Checkpoint setup on highway between dauin and bacong and the above paragraph applies. I get into The Drill Shack and order a drink when i notice out on the beach many motorbikes were out in the sand going down the beach and really having a tough time in the thick sand. The owner says must be a checkpoint on the highway and eveyones taking the beach route! My jaw dropped....yes, that's right, they took the road before the checkpoint down to the beach and were bypassing the checkpoint by driving in the sand.

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Perhaps they put them there to intimidate ladybugs and those on a stripped down 110s with a megaphones for mufflers into thinking they can't possibly get away. As with many things here, appearances seem to be the most important, whether or not they actually follow through on anything does not seem to be important.

I have posted links to that directive on the site here previously, cannot find them now though, and no time to look.

I don't know if that directive is still the procedure, what I do know is I never stop for checkpoints, and they never chase me. If I looked like a Filipino drug addict and was riding a motor that looked like it belonged in a circus, that may be a different story altogether.

Larry

9. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Extract from the Sunday press.

Class suit vs. helmet law. Optional or mandatory ?

Slated to be filed before the Regional Trial Court after the Holy Week break is a class suit, which is now being passed around for a possible mass signing at Robinsons Place since this public signing is mandated in such class suit and representing identifiable sectors. The simple prayer is to make this helmet wearing optional and not mandatory, especially within the city limits. Supporters of this cause are appealing to motorists and all sectors alike to set aside politics, and for once, consider the general welfare of this motorbike-riding city.

Grounds to declare portions of the law unconstitutional are anchored in the following :

1. A victim of an accident who did not wear a helmet is penalized, instead of those who cause the accident.

2. Helmet law does not consider other causes of motorbike accidents, such as drunk driving, stray dogs, potholes and over speeding.

3. It is ones personal right to wear or not to wear a helmet of his choice, after all, the purpose does not affect others rights, but simply the owners safety, which is personal choice.

4. No government stickers on helmets is a violation; old helmets cannot be used; a violation of human rights.

5. There is no distinction between city driving and highway driving; big or small bikes; long or short distance drives, good or bad roads.

6. Not wearing a helmet is penalized p1500, but wearing the WRONG helmet is penalized p3000. Some say this smells of corruption.

7. Helmets protect only the head. Why not require protection against neck or spinal injuries ? This is selective and devoid of equal protection of the law.

They are also appealing to the three congressmen, Limkaichong, Arnaiz and Teves to initiate legislation for the amendment of the National Helmet Law. There is also a claim that the law is discriminatory, because tricycle drivers will not be required to wear a helmet when they are more exposed to the dangers 24/7.

Source - Negros Chronicle Vol. 38 No. 44 dated April 8th 2012.

So make whatever you want of this gem.

10. Fozzboy

Fozzboy DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Corruption !!!! Surely not Roger ..................... : }

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.