Dumaguete Info Search

LTO set to implement helmet law in two weeks’ time

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by clear copy, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Me also. I've seen them running after the offender on foot while blowing a whistle and hoping they stop! [​IMG]

2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Class suit vs. helmet law petition

I am not totally in favor of the helmet law but some of these reasons stated in the petition do not really resonate with me as being true.

Item number three:

“3. It is one’s personal right to wear or not to wear a helmet of his choice, after all, the purpose does not affect others rights, but simply the owners safety, which is personal choice.”

It would affect my right to drink alcohol and chase woman if I have to spend additional monies on accident victims so I can no longer afford the “rent a wives” and cheap alcohol here. Those who do not wear protective gear cause higher hospital bills which I will most likely be paying for here. . If you have ever been in involved in an accident, you soon realize it is not whether you were right or wrong, but your ability to pay for damages. If they run into you, then you still pay because “that is the way we do it here.”

Item number seven:

7. Helmets protect only the head. Why not require protection against neck or spinal injuries? This is selective and devoid of equal protection of the law.

If they really wanted to provide equal protection the entire body and the city, then they may want to consider removing some of the bodies off the streets that do not know how to drive. Or provide some sort of training of traffic enforcement. Additional armor is not going to protect the pedestrian, or other innocent victims, etc.

3. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been riding here for just over two years, never really had an incidents or accidents. However it must be silly season as in the last nine days i have had, four near misses.
    1. On the Cebu South Coastal Road (CSCR), Talisay City. As i sped along as fast as my 125cc will go, so about 85kph a motorcycle not even 100metres in front of me decided it was his turn 2kms previously, and without looking starts a U Turn, on the CSCR !!
    2. The U Turning without looking Tricycle Driver, who refused to even look at me as i screeched to a stop.
    3. The loud exhaust groupie, who decided that even though i was 99.9% committed to making my left turn he was still going to pull out infront of me, his gf nearly jumped from the back of the bike, she was so convinced of the impending accident . . .
    4. Best of all another loud exhaust groupie, 3 girls on the bike, decided that as my front wheel drew level with her back wheel she would make an imediate left turn . . .

I am thinking of hiring a Ceres for the day and sweeping Idiots off the road with one huge yellow brush, but thats a lot of people !!

How synical of me, of course when we are all wearing helmets, everyone will gain the knowledge of, the simple rules of the road, traffic laws, respect, and all the taillights and head lights will get fixed !!!

Helmets what a load of B*ll*cks, how about investing in a proper Driving School, and Compulsary Driving test - no fixers no corruption, no idiots on the road.

Rant over thanks for reading, promise never to touch this subject ever again . .

4. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    I have been driving here for nearly 30yrs and would say the driving here is getting worse every year, with the cheap motorcycles and the good financing schemes available nearly any idiot can buy a motorcycle and drive here.. My daughters, wife and nephew all got drivers licenses here without taking a test and i don't even want to be on the road at the same time they are.. Completely useless. I was out of the country for a couple of years and during that time my Filipino license expired, when i went to have it renewed they told me i would have to take a driving test.. It was a spur of the moment thing but the first words out of my mouth were. F @#% O $&

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

This is western world thinking that simply does not apply in the Philippines.

In western countries, if someone gets in an accident and has head injuries, they are admitted to the hospital and treated, whether or not they have ability to pay. The concern is to save the life.

In the Philippines when someone gets in an accident and winds up at the hospital, if they do not have money to pay, they simply do not get admitted to the hospital and/or treatment. They are left to die on the doorstep. Nobody gives a sh*t if they live or die. Since they are not admitted, there is no hospital bill. The only ones effected in this case scenario are the immediate family, and maybe you if they are your relative.

So please clarify your statement.

Thanks,

Larry

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Let's take loads of cold beer and make a DI Family - "sweepstake" event... or better "sweep steak" event.
    First sweeping the road clear of those
    second have some steak BBQ and cold beer at the beach,
    third On the way back to Dumaguete everybody can drive a few kilometer....

The best sweeper with the most beer wins the steering wheel of the Ceres

7. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    clairification

My thinking was protective gear would reduce the injuries, and consequently reduce the hospital bill. The hospital bills and repair bills seem to be aimed at the person with the most financial ability, regardless of who is responsible for the accident, who is licensed and if the vehicle is licensed when the is a local and foreigner involved. This is from personal experience.

I am not for or against the helmet law as I think it has issues the way it is written.

Dave, Imp is eating his cat food

8. tomtorific

tomtorific DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 30
    Teka Muna to send for a reservation on the bus.......same paypal address Rhoody?.......:dnr:

9. Digo

Digo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wearing helmet here in Dumaguete, who cares? Its only when its fresh topic and when they see Police dont follow it, some local for sure dont follow it too. Thats why i think this is how it works here in the country.
    But if you visit Siquijor Island, they really follow this rule, everyone is using helmet..:-)

10. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    If you can't afford the hospital bills from driving like an idiot you shouldn't be driving like an idiot. If a few die I won't be crying a tear for the idiots, only for the innocent victims that they drag down with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.