Dumaguete Info Search

Lucky Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by TheDude, Nov 29, 2018.

1. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Luck is just one of many terms used to describe someone accomplishing something that is statically unlikely. Saying someone was lucky does diminish the task if it is a mischaracterization of an event. I think there is a both a place for luck and hard work. If I role dice six times and get snake eyes all six times is that skill or luck? Luck. Is Jeff Gordon winning lots of Nascar races luck? Nope. The are many events that happen that are unplanned, like meeting your significant other. Is that luck or fate or skill? :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Given the number of guys that get screwed over...it is probably not chance that you met, she was likely out hunting for idiots.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Luck is an event outside of your control, which is affecting you in a positive sense. Unluck is the same but in a negative sense.
    Ex: you are in a car race and be in the 2nd position short in front of the finishing line. Now the leader suddenly have an engine failure which allows you to win the race. That is luck for you and his unluck.

4. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    So just a matter of wrong time, wrong place, wrong person.....!!

5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Or your team's better car maintenance.

6. Dr. Shiva

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Yeah. But even then it is out of the drivers direct control.
    Your luck can be adjusted in your sense or not.

Luck, unluck or fate can have sometime quite big and/or strange effects (positive or negative) on you. I as a quite extreme example survived a train accident because my computer failed to work one day before the accident. The breakdown of my PC send me in the computer store to get a replacement part instead of riding the train which had then the accident. My plan was to ride that train if the computer did not failed and I would had then sitting in the train wagon which got destroyed in the accident. About 9 people got killed in that wagon. A note at last: the failing part of the computer was working fine again later.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sounds like you need to work on your troubleshooting skills. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Dr. Shiva

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Yeah. But it saved my life. :smile::thumbsup:

The SCSI controller was suddenly failing and did not even work with another HDD. Therefore I left to go to the computer store to get a new one. As I was standing in the store, there were many fireguards, ambulances, polices and more rescue teams passing the store. At the evening news on the TV I heard, what happened. :sorry: The day after I realized that I would have been sitting in that damaged wagon if the computer did not have failed. :wideyed:

9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    So pleased you were not on that train. The interesting thing about fate is that being help up by a stop light can result in avoiding an accident in the near future OR put us directly into an accident we would otherwise have avoided. Those accidents may have happened anyway (and we just were not there at that precise time) or may have been the direct result of our vehicle being there at that precise moment, not 1 second sooner or 1 second later.

The story of 'The day the music died' involving Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and 'The Big Bopper' is of two musicians (Valens and Bopper) being lucky or unlucky based on having flu and on a coin toss.