Dumaguete Info Search

Mabinay Mabinay

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by redneck, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Glad it worked out for you! Please post pics along with an update when you return. That would be great! :smile:

2. OP
    OP
    redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Pics will be forthcoming. We returned from Bacolod today. I would like to report that the hotel staff at Econotel are very accommodating and they will orepare you some wonderful homemade food, served at a large table in your room. Now, the honest truth about the actual room....AWFUL!! Our sink was plugged up from the moment we arrived, and I asked for a plunger which never surfaced. If we wanted to use the water at all we had to ask them to turn it on or go pump some. The elctricity was off and on, completely off for 2 hours at one time. The cable wasn't working, so no tv. They don't have internet, either. So, I give Econotel a big thumbs down. (My personal opinion) On a side note, Globe apparently doesn't provide service to Mabinay, so I was glad we a phone with a Smart sim.
    We had wonderful accommodations at O Hotel in Bacolod, by the way!! Highly recommend them!!

3. OP
    OP
    redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    A few pics of the hotel and Mabinay caves

Some pics of the hotel and caves. I forgot to mention that our room had a jacuzzi bathtub, in the actual room, but please note the "Out of Order" sign....

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    more pics

A few more pics. The first cave we went into was a "dead" cave. The ceiling had collapsed in the 80's. That cave was actually good for people that wanted to touch, as there was no touching allowed in the live caves. The second cave (which I opted out of climbing down into) was a live cave, and the third one, another live one, I got some pics of the critters that live in the caves. The bats are very tiny and shy. The spiders on the other hand are very large and poisonous!!

Attached Files:

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Cool stuff. I spent part of my childhood around the Mammoth Caves in Southern Indiana. I always enjoyed going on the tours. I have driven by the caves in Mabinay countless times, think I might make a trip of it.

Curious if the tours will be as informative and entertaining as the tours of the Mammoth Caves. I doubt they are of the scale of Mammoth but still would be interesting to see.

6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Excuse my ignorance, the Mammoth Caves are in Central Kentucky. I remember the drive and driving my dad crazy asking a 100 times "are we there yet". That was the case in any drive over an hour at that age though. There was another cave system in southern Indiana that I also visited that was a good tour. Marengo Caves were the ones closer to where I was at.

7. OP
    OP
    redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    cave tours

These cave tours were nothing like the cave tours I experienced in the states. Getting to the caves themselves (beginner caves, mind you), really requires you to be in good phyiscal condition. Nobody warned me that perhaps I should train before doing the beginner caves!! I am still sore, 3 days later!! This is just from hiking to the caves...getting into and around the caves themselves is easy. Going inside the caves is a bit disappointing, you don't go very far. Our guide was good, explained things and answered questions, but nothing like the history and facts I had come to expect from cave tours in the past. I think they could improve these caves if they started charging a little more for entrance. 15 pesos is nothing, I think even the local tourists would be willing and able to pay at least double that!! They could use hand rails on the trails, make the steps less steep, and the metal walk-ways inside the caves are beginning to get holes and need replaced.

8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That actually sounds more like something I would like. I prefer more of the adventure than the cookie cutter tourist walk through. I'm getting fat though. Not sure I could pull off much physical activity.....outside the bed that is. Lol

So they have some "advanced" caves there? I assume that means more climbing and possibly some swimming.

9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    They do not have the equipment there for the more advanced caves, you would need to supply your own. There is one of the longest cave systems in the Philippines at mabinay, it would also mean 3 days underground. It's worth the trek to another cave though with millions of bats which all exit the cave before sunset.

10. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Thank you for posting pics! I too have driven by Mabinay caves more than once, now I know what I have been missing! How long is the hike to the caves? Time wise or in kilometers/miles? I think I am in decent shape, but may have to get in better shape?