Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Masks

1. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    It's not the population of China that should be blamed, just their elite and corrupt government. The people generally are fine, but have no choice but to accept their authoritarian governance.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    This must be a response to the presence of new variants (so far the UK one) in the Philippines - including Negros Occidental. They will never be kept out, so it is in the interests of everyone to try to protect themselves as individuals and their families.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,101 / 333
    Face masks now mandatory in cars even if all passengers are from the same household..
    AAAAARGHHH NO NO, please stop the madness now :wacky::bag::banghead:

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Not wishing to kick off the whole debate about masks again, but as that is the topic of the thread, thought I'd share recent experience.

Visited the city centre public market on Saturday. Notice at the entrance saying that mask+face shield required for entry. The 'enforcer' at the gate was wearing his face shield on top of his head, as were most vendors and customers inside. We went to enter and he stopped us and said we need a face shield. He pointed to the vendor outside and said to the wife, 'only 20 pesos ma'am'. The wife pointed at that neither he nor anyone else inside were wearing their shields correctly, so what were they for? he said, sorry ma'am, policy'. At this she went into full bore foreigner mode, telling him we could afford to buy shields, but it's pointless if nobody wears it correctly and shamed him into pulling his shield over his face. He didn't bother asking anyone to wear their shields correctly and would not give in to us, so we walked away, me with my mouth open at the wife's outburst.

Today, after taking over an hour to do 5kms into town (what a great idea having a half-price fuel promotion three days before Christmas), we visited Hypermart on the way back. Face mask and shield required. Inside were guards wandering around, politely asking customers to wear their face shields correctly, backed up by continuous PA announcement. How refreshing that there are some institutions that can actually do it correctly here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    I
    I disagree. A positive, non-hospitalised virus carrier is as important as one hospitalised in terms of determining the spread of virus infection. The LGUs offer very clear categorisations.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Thanks. I think that goes along with what I posted. I fail to understand why people have to fly to the opposite view when all we are trying to do is let people know where the risks may be and the problems that could arise from this Virus. Burying ones head in the sand in the hope that all the bad news is wrong is fine as long as the rest of the world does not follow sit otherwise things will get worse just as has happened in the USA where ignorance of the true effects of this, although now quite well understood, are completely ignored with the result they now lead the world in everything including the bad effects of this virus.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    I saw the "......even if in same family..." bit a couple days ago. Unfortunately, the Phillipine government has a habit of passing unenforceable laws, like no more than two on a cycle where there is no viable public transport for a family of 4. I think the idea is to protect people, say at a checkpoint, but this is one law i will probably ignore. I do think helmet compliance and mask compliance are high. My mask compliance as soon as i open the car door is 100%, even going to our front gate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    This is a realistic way to formulate the law. The enforcer should not be put in the position of needing to verify the claimed domicile of each passenger. You know how it will go, otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Toto

Toto DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 205
    That's very different from what's going on elsewhere. Phil health was fraud. Red Cross was lack of payment. Here, it's the APOR - which is much closer. I read comments, but it's not in the same league as a specific elsewhere. I discount expats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I think there may sometimes be confusion when English is not a member's first language - having read the posts extra carefully I think that @Liverpool fan may have been asking a 'What if?' when he wrote "The biggest problem is that the vaccine being developed, don't work on the mutated virus." I think perhaps he meant "The biggest problem is what if the vaccine now being produced does not work on the the mutated virus?"

I can see how easily this can happen and I am not faulting anyone's response. The truth is still, of course, that we don't know if any vaccine will work on any future mutations. The only clue so far is
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54867653

"The coronavirus mutation causing concern in Denmark has arisen before in mink, scientists have revealed. The mutated virus has been detected retrospectively in mink at a farm in the Netherlands, but it did not spread to humans, said a leading Dutch expert.

There are fears the mutated virus could undermine vaccine development.

The genetic change is in a part of the virus known as the spike protein [the part which allows the virus to attach to the host cell], which is important in immunity, and a target for future vaccines and treatments."

..... Prof James Wood, head of the department of veterinary medicine at the University of Cambridge, UK [said] "The genetic changes needed careful evaluation, as reports from Denmark suggested an effect on immunity."

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1