Dumaguete Info Search

Bacong Best Posts in Thread: mass poisoning of stray or lost dogs in Bacong?

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I suspect there is a reason someone felt the need to resort to such methods. Perhaps someone's family member died or was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident due to all the mutts running around.

Maybe if the government would actually take care of the stray dog problem or the local population would be responsible dog owners this type of thing wouldn't even need to happen.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  2. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    My experience with stray dogs on the streets. I hit a stray crashed my motor. Was knocked out when I hit the cement road surface. The scratch on my left ankle got infected. The fight to save my left leg as to the infection lasted more than 3 months and cost more than ₱250,000.oo. I never fully recovered from that. Doctor wanted to amputate my leg at the knee. I had an I.V. in my right hand for a week used to inject powerful antibiotics. This fight to save my leg lasted three months.
    One of Maria's cousins was killed after hitting a stray and crashing his motor. His wife (back rider) was in the hospital 45 days.
    We have 4 dogs and they WILL NOT leave our yard even if we leave the gate open all night. The stray dog problem is NOT a dog problem it is a human problem. The Philippines has a leash law!?? If by chance you hit a dog and the owner wants you to pay. Just get the PNP and demand that they enforce the law. First offense is a ₱1,500 fine. Nobody owned the dog I hit even though it appeared to be well taken care of. My mistake was that I tried to stop before hitting that dog. The next time it will be hang on and throttle up.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Still, a little bit of tact goes a long way. I get that venting on a forum is commonplace and can help deal with the frustrations of living in a foreign culture but let's try to avoid directing our frustration at other members and being "edgy"/disrespectful. Leave that for the emotionally immature teens.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Things that can poison a dog:

Medication
    This is the number one cause of pet poisonings, whether a bottle of medication was knocked on the floor and eaten, or a concerned owner trying to help only to overdose. It is crucial to keep all medication away and out of accessibility. Never give your dog human mediation without consulting your vet first. Symptoms may vary, but typically include dilated eyes, vomiting/diarrhea, confusion, and irregular breathing/heartbeat, seizures, coma, and death.

Pesticides
    Sweet smelling rat poisons that are meant to attract rodents also attract your dog. Insecticides can also be easily accessed by your dog nosing around in the garden, and his flea/tick collar can make him sick if he chews on it. It is crucial you keep rat bait in inaccessible places to your dog, and monitor him if he wears a flea/tick collar or is in the garden. Pesticide poisoning symptoms include: Fatigue, pale gums, internal bleeding, nosebleeds, blood in urine/stool, excessive drooling, breathing difficulty, muscle tremors, and death.

Antifreeze & Other Chemicals
    These contain sweet-tasting ethylene glycol, among other dangerous chemicals, highly fatal to pets even in the smallest amounts. Keep all chemicals out of canine reach. Symptoms of ingestion include vomiting/diarrhea, dilated eyes, depression, increased thirst, kidney failure, seizures, irregular heartbeat/breathing, coma, and death.

Household & Garden Plants
    Most plants in large amounts can be potentially toxic. These common flowers are particularly dangerous: amaryllis, aconite, azalea, belladonna, buckeye, foxgloves, hyacinth, hydrangea, ivy, all species of lily, night shade, rhododendron, tulip, and yew. Symptoms of ingestion include: dilated eyes, vomiting/diarrhea, irritation around mouth, swelling of the mouth and throat, excessive drooling, excessive thirst, irregular heartbeat/breathing, muscle tremors, seizures, coma, and death.

Chocolate
    Theobromine, a chemical similar to caffeine, cannot be easily metabolized by animals. Depending on the type of chocolate and your pet's size reveals how much can be deadly. Just one square of baker's chocolate is fatal to a 10 lb dog, and 2 squares are deadly to a 20 lb dog. Signs include vomiting/diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, hyperactivity, muscle tremors, seizures, cardiac arrest, and death.

Alcohol
    Even so much as a drop of beer can cause intoxication. However, alcohol poisoning doesn't come from just alcoholic beverages, but also vanilla extract, and raw bread dough. The fermented yeast of swallowed dough can cause not only alcohol poisoning, but also bloat or intestinal rupture. Symptoms include: disorientation, vomiting/diarrhea, seizure, coma, swollen stomach, seizures, coma, and death.

Onions & Garlic
    Ingested in large amounts can be fatal. A chemical found in these foods, thiosulphate, causes the red blood cells in the blood stream to rupture, resulting in anemia. Baby food containing onion powder has killed puppies. Symptoms include difficulty breathing, vomiting, weakness, irregular heartbeat, and jaundice.

Xylitol
    This artificial sweetener is found in sugarless candy and gum and can be potentially deadly to your dog as his blood sugar rapidly drops. Symptoms include fatigue, staggering, irregular heartbeat/breathing, seizures, coma, and death.

Grapes and Raisins
    Just a handful of either can be fatal to some dogs. Symptoms include vomiting/diarrhea, foamy/bloody urine, irregular heartbeat/breathing, restlessness, kidney failure, and death.

Avocado
    All products of the avocado plant are poisonous to canines, including avocado fruit and guacamole dip made from it. It destroys the heart muscle and other tissues, including the lungs. Signs of poisoning include difficulty breathing, irregular heartbeat, swollen abdomen, fluid build up around the heart, seizures, coma, and death.

• Informative Informative x 7
  5. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    This is a deplorable and selfish crime. Many of the dogs (maybe most) are not really “stray”, they belong to owners, are fed regularly, have the required rabies vaccinations and roam but come back to their homes everyday. Even if they were strays with no real owner, poisoning is very painful to them. I doubt the perpetrators will be caught but one can always hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Why!? Because the release of poison into the environment can be deadly for all animals in it regardless of the targeted species. That also includes humans!

R.A. 8485, dated Feb. 11 19987 has been amended by R.A. 10631 dated Oct. 03, 2013.
    I read both and only see where it might pertain to letting your dog run stray. That would indicate, to me, that you are neglecting your dog. Which is a violation of this law.

I believe the real criminals here are the dog owners that abandon their pets!

My two centavos.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If you have seen how a poisoned dog suffer before it dies, I guess most people will agree it's the wrong way to fix the problem with all the stray dogs. It's a crime to poison dogs in the Philippines and there is an investigation going on in Bacong to find the guilty. I lived in Panglao before here was it officials from the barangay who poisoned the dogs. Are stray dogs just the norm or part of the culture in the Philippines? I believe so, most of us are affected by these dogs, when I try to talk to people with dogs who live in a chain 24 hours a day, hauling and barking, it seems to me these people can't see the problem and I'm the one who is the problem lol. Honest, I don't believe this problem will be solved in the near future, like throwing garbage everywhere and other things which seems obvious wrong in western culture. I see a part of the young generation in the Philippines start focusing on taking care of nature and animals, maybe hope for the future. We human beings take it as granted that we are the ones who decided who is allowed to live on this earth, maybe worth to think about

Liverpool fan
    This message by Liverpool fan has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Genius Genius x 1
    • Trollin' Trollin' x 1
  8. HeyJoey

HeyJoey DI Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 11
    Sad the dog didn't killed you at the time, because now you just want to kill them without mercy,
    remember those dogs were abandoned, as a human being we have to respect them because this species of animals helped us!!!

HeyJoey
    This message by HeyJoey has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Abhorrent! Abhorrent! x 1
    • Trollin' Trollin' x 1
  9. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    The recent news that there was mass poisoning of stray dogs and perhaps lost dogs in Bacong just days ago is deplorable. Why?
    An investigation is now ongoing as to perpetrator of this crime so they could face charges for their horrible act which violates R.A. 8485

I hope the people of Bacong will help our animal rights supporters find the criminals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Catabisis

Catabisis DI Member Infamous

Ratings:
    +45 / 9
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I can’t stomach strays. I crashed hitting one. Fortunately, it was a slow wreck in a neighborhood street resulting in just a small puncture wound in my ankle.
    I have had countless close calls with them. If I had a car I would plow through them.
    Two guys I know were not as lucky as me. Both had a mangled leg. One has been dealing with infection from the wreck and a botched surgery from the emergency repair in Bohol for two years. He just returned from Manila with his third surgery. I have no mercy for strays. Kill them all. They’re just street urchins.

• Agree Agree x 2