Dumaguete Info Search

Trades & Labor Master Builder (Qualified)

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by ganda, Jul 20, 2020.

1. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    When you have made some progress can you post pictures of your build with the shipping containers?

If designed and managed correctly it could be a quick build process. Building quickly reduces the rent paid to live somewhere else during the build.

2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    These Punches are OK if you are only using 0.6mm steel studs but they are of little use when you use 1.2mm SS, I also have 2 of them and one has long handles but at best we could only make a small dimple on the 1.2's

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    BTW, do some research on rice hulls for insulation, it is a perfectly acceptable method, the one big problem with SS walls is; they act a bit like resonating panels and have a hollow ring to them, but the rice Hulls cures that problem, one bag required for 16inch of wall at 8ft high with a 4inch cavity, cost P60.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Brezer

Brezer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 1
    Thats a great idea that hadn't eve considered. How it in relation to ants and other crawlies?

5. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    It comes complete with its own Ants well actually Rice weevils, I add a 50/50 mix of borax and boric acid to it.

This little Flux cored wire welder I have will use nothing like 8kw of power and can weld 6mm steel no problem surely a container is not any heavier gauge that that??? Hiring tools and especially a generator is not such a good idea to me unless it was really big like an excavator, better to buy one and if kept in good condition a few months later you can get as much as 75% of the original price in resale value, it it may take some time to get an electric supply here for starters you need to have a temporary building to install it in, also your partner has to go through a one day seminar where she will be taught to switch off the fridge at night and other useful info like electric can kill you.

Doing something quite bespoke for here comes with its share of problems unless you completely DIY it? to rely completely on Pinoy constructions workers will give you a lot of headaches as they only know how to build with the common Lego blocks they have here, actually they do not even know how to do this properly.

You are welcome to any advice I can give you, I have experience of only one build here and little else before that, but I have done my research and spent many hours watching Massoons at work, most of them have little clue of what they should be doing, although I have a few small structes in CHB, knowing what I know not I would never allow one to pass through my gate again, not even for a Septic, better to use concrete for all underground tanks.

6. Brezer

Brezer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 1
    The reason I was looking for a 8000 w welder was from this https://www.google.com/search?q=how...0l3j0i390l5.6576j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 I honestly have never messed with generators so I was using this as a guide to try and find a genny that could run it with no issues.. I have a little 200a mig welder coming. I was wanting to go ahead and get started tearing the insides out and weld the containers together and start putting doors and windows in.

What we were told was that our electrical plans had to be approved before noreco would drop us a meter (and a 2 day class on how to use electricity????) ,I am guessing its going to be in january. I have no idea if that's true.

7. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    We had to drop and meter into them after we paid for it ourselves, my wife had a one day only seminar to attend and I guess our plans had all been passed for Plumbing and electrics and structural engineering by that time?

8. Brezer

Brezer DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 1
    So you had to provide noreco with a meter? All my plans have been approved but waiting on electrical...

9. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Yes that is correct we supplied our own Meter bought from Polaris, they fitted the case of it at the same time they did my neighbours temp service we were building at much the same time, however my wife was later than his to have the seminar due to cancellations for whatever reason, eventually when she had the one day thing and we were ready for fitting they had lost the works of the meter and on more than one occasion they told us the engineer had it in his van and would fit it that day if he had time, this never happened and went on for a few weeks, then we asked to see a senior manager and that if we did not meet with him we were taking legal action against them, this all happened in an afternoon and they were there at 5.30pm and worked in the dark to fit the lost meter? my neighbour was given temp service from a Pinoy neighbour, he had to pay their full bill for a few months of P1500.

10. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,101 / 333
    Our last house had the meter and isolating switch attached to the corner post of our front fence but where we are now has the meter and switch around 150m down the road attached to the pole holding the transformer, there is also around 10 other peoples meters on this pole.
    Noreco's answer to why it is not at the house was that this is a countermeasure against people who tamper with the meter to get free electricity.
    I can just imagine a scenario where an electrician comes to do work on the house main breaker box so isolates the power at the switch 150m down the road, later that day one of the other houses fed from that pole loses power for whatever reason so they go to the pole to investigate, the first thing they see is a switch in the off position so thinking that's the problem switches it on resulting in a fried electrician.