Dumaguete Info Search

Finance & Legal Master Card credit card

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Show Pony, Nov 13, 2023.

1. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,409 / 1,264
    I'm not a fan of credit cards but they are a necessary evil to book airline tickets or make some purchases online.

Yesterday my email had my most recent statement of account (bill). It showed a late fee of 850 pesos. It stuck me as odd because Master Card automatically deducts the full amount from my savings account every month. The account is never empty.

To make a long story short. It was a banking holiday the day payment was due. The credit card company couldn't get their money so I was "late". Master cards initial position was my bill didn't get paid on time, they received their money late and it was my fault. After a short discussion they agreed to refund the charge on the next statement. The discussion was fairly short because they knew about the problem. If I hadn't called they probably would have been happy to take my money.

You might want to look closely at your bill.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,409 / 1,264
    Follow up:
    Yesterday Master Card sent me an updated bill crediting the 850 peso late fee.
    This is somewhat important. If your credit card bill is not paid in full any purchases made in the following months will be treated as a CASH ADVANCE. Once the balance is paid in full for two consecutive month purchases will then revert to "normal purchases".
    When I spoke to the customer service rep this problem was pointed out and she did not know what to do about it. Well it seems she took some initiative and got the problem resolved. Good for her!

A side note: Customer Service Reps have zero power, they don't know this. Years ago I was in France and my credit card was declined at several restaurants. Several call to the CC company and they assured me they authorized the CC for international use. It still didn't work. Enough was enough!! I called the bank manager at my bank to "b!tch him out" and he said "well Showpony it's like this. The rep ticks the box which is actually a request to authorize the card, the supervisor at the CC company calls me and asks for my recommendation and then the CC is authorized". My Bank Manager called the CC company and got it sorted. I considered changing to Visa CC but my bank manager said don't bother you'll be talking to the same people.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hmm, not sure I understand the situation as described.
    MasterCard originated as an Association of multiple banks, that wished to compete with the Bank of America's succesful AmeriCard (present day Visa) initiative.
    Later, MasterCard Worldwide merged with EuroCard, a similar European organization.
    I have a MasterCard also, but it is a card that's been issued not by MasterCard themselves but by my (Dutch) bank.
    MasterCard licenses individual banks to issue their own "MasterCards", and I thought that's how they operate worldwide, but maybe it's "more fun in the Philippines".
    As a result I never deal with MasterCard themselves, they don't send me statements or debit my bank account or whatever; my own bank looks after all that. Never had any issues with it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Show Pony

Ratings:
    +2,409 / 1,264
    Please accept my sincere apology for confusing you.
    I didn't know MasterCard is a separate entity from MetroBank MasterCard.