Dumaguete Info Search

MECQ, it was only a matter of time.

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by koolaukid, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    If they do not enforce it in full and start finings, scooter confiscations, 2nd and 3rd offence fines...... its just a farce. More chance in seeing a D0Do bird walking up the middle of the road than seeing compliance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. you_have_been_removed

you_have_been_removed DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +261 / 52
    its a babysitting nation ( they have been numbed by foreign powers) and will expect and do expect other nations to come and bail them out of this mess, just bungling through one scenario to the next, our messiah is out the door soon enough and has had enough... duque,lacson,roque, the messiah......this is the tip of the sword, and you can take your pick from our chosen few on this wee island

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    This is the issue. Many here live day to day. Take their P100-P300 per day salary away and they, along with their families, starve. It's easy to say that lockdowns are the right move when you know where your next meal comes from and you are financially secure.

My major concern is gyms closing, which it looks like they will...but whatever, I'm dropping 40k+ on a home gym setup and it will save me money in the long run. I eat more protein and calories per day than a poor Filipino family of 5 would eat. This won't effect me in any meaningful way, I'll leave the politics of this nonsense to the locals. They know much better than I do what their needs are. If they start dying from starvation because their government can't support them during this/these lockdown I suspect they will deal with it appropriately.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Wasn't it Degamo (or whatever his name is) that said Negros Oriental couldn't afford a lockdown without help from the national government?

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No nut politicians say one thing, do another. Protecting 0.1% of the population while f'ing 99.9% of the population that would suffer nothing worse than a runny nose and a sore throat from this virus. Brilliant. But again, doesn't effect me, let them do their thing.

6. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    One thing that just really gets me is when people continue to spew this tired old meme of "99.9% have nothing more than a runny nose". Maybe you were just being hyperbolically sarcastic, but some will read that and think it's true. It is NOT.

The current case fatality rate in the Philippines is 2% (NOT 0.1%, you are low by a factor of 20X). AND ... 33% of positive covid patients, even if they don't die, end up with "long haul" symptoms including chronic fatigue, respiratory problems, brain fog, and liver and heart problems.

Nobody should be dismissing covid as "just the flu".

I know what you will say, so here:
    https://health.ucdavis.edu/health-n...id-19-patients-regardless-of-severity/2021/03

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Of the cases they know about. I suspect the numbers of asymptomatic or with mild symptoms is much higher than reported/known. Healthcare and testing isn't free here, Filipinos are not going to go out of their way to spend money they don't need to spend and the government has no interest/financial capability in mass testing. I don't think it is coincidence that directly following increased testing through contact tracing here the numbers also increased. I think the same would happen in most other regions.

After this current spike did the number of severe symptoms, hospitalizations and deaths spike along with the new infections? (Serious question that I don't know the answer to.)

They don't even know what long covid is or what causes it...not even a hypothesis. It is different in everyone and the study the article quotes is still being peer reviewed. I will wait for more solid evidence before I start shaking in my boots over this new scary thing the media is pushing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. anti_crazy

anti_crazy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +262 / 48
    John Hopkins U has reported over several months; 99.4 to 99.6 range. So, I call your UC Davis and raise you a John Hopkins U. Call, fold, or re-raise. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +135 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
  10. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    I will re-raise.

My stat for case fatality rate was not from UCD, it was from the World Covid Monitor website, and it was the rate for the Philippines, not the worldwide average. You fold?

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021