Dumaguete Info Search

Health & Wellness medical insurance

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by charlyB, Mar 16, 2016.

1. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Blue cross of the Philippines I have looked into and they looked reasonable including the private room tier. They go all the way up to private suite tier. I would defintely get Philhealth in all cases! Philhealth reviews the bill and if you are being gouged they will contest the bill. When Philhealth saves money, you save money! The pittance Philhealth costs will be recovered if you ever use it once and I'm talking if you paid into Philhealth for a decade. I would check also what would be acceptable insurance at St. Luke's in Manila. I would as soon let them cut on me for anything non-emergency as return to the US.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,220 / 1,090
    Certainly no offence taken but when a group of members are having Lunch and discussing the possibility of getting a Group Insurance membership that may benefit all ( As "DH" ) Intimated earlier, That Group becomes "WE and not "I" as far as I am concerned.
    Just one of those things that can lead off Topic :wink:

3. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I understand. When you said we... instead of a group of us... somehow I was transported back to 3rd grade and a desire to be silly. Not only was I off topic, I wasn't on any topic at all. :hopeless:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Did not find this thread last night when I searched, so will add my posts from the Philhealth thread here to add;

5. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I am beginning to think a funeral will be cheaper than cover... :sorry:

Online Quotation

I see some good said about this company online, this is a quote page so some of you can gain a personal quote;

About You

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    As an American I would say, "Has that not always been the case?" :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Just my two cents on the health insurance issue:

Obviously insurance companies are not charities, but "for profit" entities. Hence they will aim to compete for customers, while maintaining profitability. Generally that means that unless the government forces a "minimum cover" or "age independent premiums" (which doesn't apply in this country) then you'll see insurance companies differentiate premiums according to age, and minimize coverage / exclude pre-existing conditions. The competition will kill any company that doesn't go along with that differentiation, by attracting all young and healthy people to their cheaper offer that has an age limit.

Health insurance cover by the state is usually more about "spreading the risk between young and old".
    Obviously, Philhealth is not "trying to keep hospital beds occupied" but limiting cover to longer (more expensive) hospitalisations in order to save money (and keep premiums affordable). And yes, they may be shooting themselves in the foot with that because people may plead with the doctor to "stay one more night".

Basically though, my suggestion would be to at least get the Philhealth subscription even if you have a "backup plan to travel back home in case something serious.....".
    The reasons for that are pretty simple:
    1. it is still relatively cheap, even after July 1, and will probably still "pay for itself" eventually.
    2. it will help to insure you don't get overcharged by the hospital, as was noted earlier in this thread.

If you're young and healthy, try to find a good health insurance anyway, preferably one that won't throw you out when you get old.
    If you can afford to, even if you are already in the 65+ age bracket, have a look at Pacific Cross.
    Premiums are not cheap, and yes the "pre-existing condition exclusion" may bite you, but if you take out a modest insurance and accept a deductable amount then it may work out financially and you won't go broke from a run of the mill hospitalisation.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    How will the health insurance know if there are preexisting conditions on the person wanting to get insured by them? Or will this be a way for the insurances to call on "preexisting conditions" at the time when they get requested to take over a bill.

9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,630 / 2,895
    Yes, they will not be too bothered by pre-existing conditions while you are paying your premiums .... but as soon as you try to claim they will go over you with a microscope. I am not sure what they do about medical records if you are not in your home country but, whatever it is, you can be sure it will be to their advantage. Also, they will try to connect the current problem to any pre-existing condition even if there seems logically to be no connection. We all have to be so careful when filling out enrollment forms as they will use them against us if we miss out on one tiny detail. The last thing Insurance companies want to do is to pay out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Normally the insurance company will demand an examination (at the applicant's expense) to be performed by a doctor who is approved by the company to do such examinations.
    They'll also demand that the applicant fills out a form declaring all of their medical history.
    The decision on your insurance application will be subject to these.
    So no, it's not a "trick", it is pretty much straight forward.
    Of course, if you have a pre-existing condition that might effect many other things regarding future illnesses, for example if you have diabetes at the time of the application which may cause other complications going forward, then they won't refuse to pay if you suffer a broken leg, but developing a heart disease might be a problem then, in terms of the insurance.

• Agree Agree x 1