Dumaguete Info Search

Mike's Dauin Beach Resort

Discussion in 'Diving and Marine Life' started by RR_biker, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bikerdave

bikerdave DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 1
    Sorry to hear that RRbiker oh well im sure if you never go back it's not going to ruin him! Also if you cant wait 15 min. in the philippines you are obviously in the wrong country! As you said "There are many more diving resorts around the world" My suggestion is that you go THERE!!!

2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Don't forget the Mexican food

The service has usually been good, although the staff can be focused on their own agenda. Usually I am the only table there in the afternoon. I love it when all the divers are away from the resort as it becomes some much more private and intimate. I doubt that the staff has noticed me when I am there because I may be the only table present. Never a problem with too many people and the dogs are usually charming company on the property. Usually a gentle word and I get any service I need....

Don't forget the Mexican food. I have found the Mexican food to be very good there, much better than some of the "mexican inspired" foods around town. Having been married to a Mexican, and Venezuelan (not at the same time thank God) I have some experience in eating Latin dishes. The Nachos are very good, and the grande portion usually works for four people.

3. OP
    OP
    RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    To avoid any misunderstanding, but by posting my experiences, I have no intention to ruin Mike's business.
    I can wait (forced or volunteered) longer than 15 min. in the PH. Last but not least, should I decide to visit a diving resort elsewhere in the world, any suggestion to go there, how practically meant, is a waste of efforts. But of course I appreciate it that other members on this board show up some ideas.
    The owner, Mike, already sent me a message to my email account on which I answered by return of mail while thanking him for his concern towards customers and told him I will come back to his place in the very near future to find out that my previous visit was to be considered as not a lucky day to go there.

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I think I am due for some "laid back", maybe a trip to Mike's this afternoon will fulfill the need.

Larry

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    We will probably go there too, at least for lunch.

6. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    kathy & I were there on Sunday for san Juan, for our first time, really enjoyed it layed back and peaceful, food was good & price excelant, definatly a place to go back to, yes certantly you must get the attention of the waitresess in the philippines which is better than being harrased into an order when you are not ready to order. good place Mike

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    We were there most of Sunday afternoon, and can assure you it was a very typical Sunday afternoon at Mike's.

Larry and Rony

8. Rodneyemr

Rodneyemr DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I have always had a good experience there

I have always had a good experience at Mikes Resort, but of course, Mike the owner has always been there. We have visited most resorts in Dauin and Mikes is easily the most user friendly and welcoming. Our experience at any of these resorts is that when the owner is on site, the place is great. If it has an absentee owner....well let's just say we have never been back.

Please remember that in the Philippines, it is up to us to get the attention of service people. That is just how it is here. You can sit at a bar for hours and nobody will ask if you want a drink. The burden is on the customer to make it clear to the staff that you are at a bar to have a drink. Common sense does not apply here.

9. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    It is a different culture here....

I have noticed there are few cultural differences here in service also. I actually enjoy not be hounded by there waitress here, although I will willing give my phone number to the cute ones when asked. In the US, they drop your bill on the table when they realize your are not going to order more, , usually with a "when ever your ready, we don't want to rush you" comment. However here after you have requested the bill here, they wait for , standing at the table...just a different system. I like it, it actually is more time efficient for the customer. The first time I ate here with a host and they held up their hand with the " bring me the bill" hand signal I was applaud :rolleyes: at my host's rude like behavior (in US culture terms) but do it constantly here myself now. The "bring me the bill' hand signal by the way, is different than the signal used on the road for rude drivers (or the restaurant hand signal that "the food sucks") for an newbies here.

10. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    was that you at the bar? sporting a beard? ah BTW the dentist you recomended is great, but time will tell hehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.