Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Minor Accident with Rental Car

1. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Very common here, unfortunately. May I suggest in the future you check your side view mirrors before turning (left or right) because idiots on motorbikes are always trying to pass cars on both left and right sides irregardless of your turn signals and you can hopefully avoid this in the future. Also check before trying to change lanes too.

Yes, I know it's technically their fault but they are not going to stop doing it just because we want them to so a bit of caution is warranted on the drivers part to avoid wasting many, many hours of filing reports and insurance claims that get nothing accomplished except you pay the tab either for repairs or in higher premiums for insurance in the future.

Some other good rules to use when going into a blind curve is to honk your horn to warn any idiot trying to pass someone in the other direction coming around that blank corner. Better to honk than get into a head on collision with a sugarcane truck or a$$hat motorbike.

Also at night it helps to flash your brights in the same blank corners or curves for the same reason.

Lotz of Di#kh#ads here don't' have insurance, license or two piso to rub together to pay for repairs or even headlights and the TMG doesn't enforce the rules anyway.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I got myself all confused here. I read the OP wrong and thought he was turning right and was hit on the right by someone passing him on the right. I also posted that traffic law too early in the morning and hadn't fully woken up yet (too early to know my left from my right). So I'll give it a go again.

If he was at an intersection when he made the turn there is no passing allowed:
    R.A. 4136
    Overtaking:
    This law defines "highways" as: "shall mean every public thoroughfare, public boulevard, driveway, avenue, park, alley and callejon, but shall not include roadway upon grounds owned by private persons, colleges, universities, or other similar institutions."

Simply put, in the Philippines it is against the law to pass anyone at any intersection of the public roads on the vast majority of the roadways here...unless you are passing a person turning left on the right or vice-versa. Unless Mikala was turning into a private driveway the people behind him had no right to be passing him in the first place.

Turning left:
    Right of Way:
    Nothing about giving way to people coming from behind you and it actually reads as if every single person coming to an intersection must give way to whoever was there first.....unless there is a stop light/sign/traffic enforcer dictating who has the right of way (and there ain't too many of those in Dumaguete).

This is an important one to take note of. If someone pulls out in front of you to make a left turn and you hit them, you are technically at fault (even though they were being complete knobs and not using common sense). Whoever is at an intersection first always has the right of way according to Philippine law.

From the pdf:
    The Vienna convention is not law around the world. It is designed to offer guidance to signatories....and it is on those signatories to enact their own laws (which the Philippines has obviously not done :wink:).

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mikala

Mikala DI Member Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Nuclear Engineer
    Ratings:
    +144 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The first morning I was using the rental car to shop at Hypermart and, as I was turning left (with my turn signal activated 5 seconds before I turned), some asshat on a scooter slammed into my driver’s side door. Of course he blamed me for turning left and said he was also turning left, but further ahead so I should have given him the right of way. As I was turning from the middle of the road with my left tires on the dividing line, I couldn’t understand his line of reasoning. There were several witnesses that were calling out to him to accept his responsibility in causing the accident and to pay the foreigner for the damage he caused. He argued back with the witnesses. Eventually he just took off and I never even got his name, but the wife got his license plate number.

We duly filed a police report and will go to LTO to file a report of the incident this week. My wife tells me that the owner of the motorcycle will have a fine levied against him that will need to be paid before he can renew his registration. The police told her that there’s pretty much nothing to be done about the guy that hit us though. Just to be vigilant in driving.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Philippine Logic 101, that's how.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    My *guess* would be car is on the right side ready to turn (very little room between car and curb). Motorcycle comes up on the right side but slightly back. Car starts turning as being in the right lane and motorcycle having faster acceleration hits the throttle to take off into turn as car is already slightly ahead. No room for motorcycle to turn as car is blocking the motor and motorcycle accelerates into the door when motorcycle thought he could cut in.

Just my guess as have seen the exact same thing happen hundreds of times with very near collisions. The stupid thing is when the person with the right of way (the car in this instance) is using a turn signal it should be clear but these idiots think they are invincible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    The exact thing happened to us turning off the hwy at Barcong the guy ran leaving his bike with his gf . she had the cheek to tell me to be more careful next time. good idea is to have a dash cam

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1