Dumaguete Info Search

Vehicles & Servicing Best Posts in Thread: Mobile Motorcycle Mechanic

1. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    500 is a good price for 2 hours, when he was working for GUD he probably wasn't making that much a day.. The price is what it is,, maybe doesn't seem fair to you but the law of supply and demand rules the day here.. Too many people and not enough jobs.. Whether you agree or not thats fact.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    FYI should anyone else need a 'big bike' mechanic.

Following ThatNewGuy's recommendation above, I contacted the mechanic (Alvin) at 1100 this morning and at 1330 he was at my home. He diagnosed and went to GUD to get the part number required, sent that to me and came again to my home after work to fit, which took about an hour.

Labour cost 'up to you Sir' and I agreed P500, as he had travelled out twice. He was also free with advice and seemed very knowledgeable. He used to work at GUD.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    And that's a game. I know people in the antiques trade in the West - if you ask them to buy an item they will reply "What do you want for it?" (even though they already know its value) and depend on the seller being ignorant. If the item is worth about $1000 and the seller says $800, they will pass and keep trying to push the price down - if the seller has no idea (and I have seen many examples of that) and says "Would you give me $5" they will agree but seem reluctant! At the end they either get it for about the price they were originally willing to pay or for very much less.

The method here for services usually plays the same game - so best to start reasonably low and wait for them to push it up.

This is where this Forum is of use, by expats letting others know the general price they are paying for services of different types.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Don't those goal posts get heavy moving them around all the time? :meh:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yeah, he should have paid the guy 15,000 pesos because he is from a foreign country and that is the value on the opposite side of the world, local labor rates and cost of living be d@mned.

Even though the guy gave the "up to you" rates we all know that if he was low-balled he most likely would have came back with a reasonable counter offer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    The difference between understanding something but still being affected by it. Everyone who ever became an expat must have found a few things they dislike in their new country and expressed their frustrations - but accepted it as a trade off for being there (otherwise they would have left). We are only human.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Thanks, yes, I'm aware of the cultural meaning of timekeeping here. I was just expressing my own personal priorities on the matter. From the perspective of a leisure activity, whilst my preference is always to start at the designated time, I'm not particularly bothered about tardiness. From the perspective of business or education, that's when I do get a feeling of annoyance at avoidable lateness and these are the times that I find myself having to control my feelings on it. I'm sure that I'm not the only one on here that has to do that now and again on such cultural differences.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Living in the Ph as a foreigner and expecting Filipinos being sharp on time, trust me, you are in the wrong country, though there are always exceptional to the rules.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    The guy I used was spot-on time both times he came out though. I was impressed as I'm pretty a**l about timekeeping (which is a cause of much frustration living here).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    What I did not know at the time, but learned subsequently, is that he works for Kymco. So, he presumably does have a salary and was doing this job on the side.

It's been interesting reading the debate about whether P500 is fair for his time or not. My view is, having learned much of P350 per day salaries for office workers and low grade construction workers (which I personally find to be degrading by the way), P500 for a maximum of two hours of his time including the travelling, plus a bit of fuel, is OK. He suggested that and I didn't attempt to barter him down.

He happens to now be doing some other work on the bike for me at the Kymco workshop and I'll be making sure that he's seen right.

• Like Like x 2