Dumaguete Info Search

Vehicles & Servicing Mobile Motorcycle Mechanic

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Always a Poppy, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    People in the western world sometimes are tardy as well.
    One of my papermill customers had a production meeting every morning at 8:00 am. The door to the meeting room was closed and locked at 8:00 am sharp. It didn't matter who you were if you ended up on the wrong side of the door........ all the downtime from the night shift went against your department. People learned lol.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Quite right too. There are many sayings around punctuality, my favourite (part of) being:

Promptitude is not only a duty, but is also a part of good manners;

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Punctuality is a cultural construct. Best to get over that Western expectation in the Philippines. Remember that many locals here may be just as annoyed at you for showing up on time as you are with people showing up late. They may have told you the party was going to start at 6 but everyone else understood that meant to be there at 7. Now they have an early guest that needs to be catered to/entertained and getting in the way of the party prep. Remember what country you are in and whose culture and expectations matter (not yours).

4. OP
    OP
    Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    Thanks, yes, I'm aware of the cultural meaning of timekeeping here. I was just expressing my own personal priorities on the matter. From the perspective of a leisure activity, whilst my preference is always to start at the designated time, I'm not particularly bothered about tardiness. From the perspective of business or education, that's when I do get a feeling of annoyance at avoidable lateness and these are the times that I find myself having to control my feelings on it. I'm sure that I'm not the only one on here that has to do that now and again on such cultural differences.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    The difference between understanding something but still being affected by it. Everyone who ever became an expat must have found a few things they dislike in their new country and expressed their frustrations - but accepted it as a trade off for being there (otherwise they would have left). We are only human.

• Agree Agree x 2