Dumaguete Info Search

Money isn't everything?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by john boy, May 29, 2020.

1. Chriscraft

Chriscraft DI Member

Retired digital nomad
    Ratings:
    +77 / 15
    Money wont bring happiness....but freedom!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I have no time to listen to any member of an unelected dysfunctional family which needs to employ a huge staff of PR experts to keep them in their cushy positions. If you're worthy then you don't need staff to channel people into liking you.

These stars/celebrities sometimes need to examine what is important in their lives - is it the pursuit of fame and money or their health. A person under pressure selling insurance and on low pay has to switch careers to reduce the stress - the celebs need to do the same. Instead they complain about how they feel and carry on because they won't give anything up. Many examples, but a member of a girl band in the UK complains about her mental health and what people write about her - then performs in front of kids with her lips plumped up to resemble hemorrhoids and much of her body barely hanging within her skimpy clothes. There is too much of the 'look at me, look at me' combined with 'I feel bad because they are looking at me'.

So, after those rants, to answer your good question: Money cannot buy health BUT it can help to pay when it goes wrong. It gives CHOICES and it must be better to have 10 choices than 1 or zero.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    You are right it can't buy you love... It can, how ever, buy you something that feels a lot like love.:smile::muted:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,150 / 230
    That's actually what the programme was about......how to deal with depression, it highlighted that even famous/ celeb's cannot cope with life sometimes, this was inpart to do with the
    outbreak of the virus and the emotional long term effects it can have on people. ( even rich people, comfortable ones ) 2020 has it's problems with Mental Health for a number of reasons.

5. OP
    OP
    john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,150 / 230
    I would of said YES......Female ones, who would suck the blood out of you.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    That is onlypart of her title Her full official title is Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Jessie77

Jessie77 DI Member

Ratings:
    +211 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Maybe not but at least you can ride around in comfort looking for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Money is a prerequisite for happiness and finding "love" (which like any emotion is just a chemical reaction in our brains).

"Money" is a rather broad term, it doesn't exclusively mean banknotes and coins. It can be any asset, property or resource owned by someone. Without any of these things you will die and, in most normal circumstances, doesn't lead to too much happiness or other positive emotions. The rich and poor alike are humans and have the same needs (nutritional, economical, social, ect). Pain is pain no matter how much money a person has and it is unfortunate anyone has to experience it. Just because someone is wealthy or in a position of power doesn't mean they didn't go through some unpleasant or truly horrible experiences in their life that has resulted in their current mental health situation.

However, I don't have more or less concern for the wellbeing of that homeless guy that asked me for change in Austin than I do for the Queen. I certainly don't wish any harm to either of them but if something happened to the Queen I would care about as much as I do to whatever happened to that homeless guy. Far too many people in this world for me to care about the mental health of each one. If you aren't in my direct circle or are directly influencing my life I have little time to worry about your well-being. I think it would be devastated to my own mental health if I did truly care about everyone with problems it in pain as it would absolutely consume my life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    John Boy asks a very provocative question. Like many of you, I have been up and down the money ladder a few times. This definitely is viewed differently individually. My personal view, and it takes updating, is you create a plus-minus balance sheet. Things that make you happy on one side (having money may be one) and things that make you unhappy on the other (health problems may be one) on the minus ledger. Don’t waste time putting a weight factor, doesn’t matter. If you total more on the plus side, be happy, it might change.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,150 / 230
    Greetings Pat, I respect your point of view,
    My intention was to bring about a debate, that no matter who one is or what wealth one may have, one cant put a price on ones Physical or Mental well being.
    The programme I referred to, was made to make awareness of the early signs of mental strain, tiredness and it's effects on the brain and body.
    I admire your own personal battle to regain fitness and thank you for sharing your on going efforts to do just that.......respectfully JB

• Like Like x 3