Dumaguete Info Search

Poll Monthly expenses

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by cabb, Mar 23, 2018.

?

What is your average monthly living expense in Dumaguete (in USD)

1. 0-500

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. 500-1000

12 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. 1000-1500

21 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. 1500-2000

23 vote(s)
    30.7%
  5. 2000-2500

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  6. greater than 2500

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Nobody has to really change their lifestyle unless they are strapped for cash.

I guess that depends on the definition of "professional" jobs. I know many professional Filipinos (and even some that wouldn't fall into that category) that make a lot more than $1k/month. The growing upper middle class would put your average expat to shame with their disposable income.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Orvenjohn

Orvenjohn DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Only filipino professionals working abroad are earning more than $1K a month but even a highly skilled in the Philippines does not command a higher salary except those working on the upper class as executives with perks and bonuses running a company. Nurses, engineers, architect, teachers, Military salary are way below $1K per month but if you can see this professional those who know how to handle financially lives in comfort here in Dumaguete. Even in Manila salary is less than this. The only drawback here in Dumaguete is less industries and big corporations that can pay a high salary. Professionals work in call centers for 20,000 peso a month are happy specially for singles.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Those jobs don't require a "professional degree". Basically, if people aren't throwing a "Doctor", "Attorney" or "Honorable" before your name you are not working in a "professional" career.
    The average all center employee is not a "professional". That job can be, and regularly is, done by high-school drop outs in the West.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Sorry my Friend but on this cannot agree $1000 is at this time around 50.000 peso and I could relate many of my Wife's colleagues that are in cases well above this :pompus:
    Just to add here a list of the Top ten Jobs and a follow up of Relevant structures
    1. Corporate strategy (P125,976)
    2. IT-related (P91,100)
    3. Actuarial science/Statistics (P81,799)
    4. Quality control/Assurance (P80,828)
    5. Customer service (P80,810)
    6. Training and development (P77,877)
    7. Public relations/Communications (P77,219)
    8. Banking/Financial services (P74,837)
    9. Human resources (72,686)
    10. Law/legal (P67,402)

Top 10 Highest-paying Jobs in the Philippines 2017 | The Summit Express

Just saying:wink:

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  5. MikeP64

MikeP64 DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +247 / 138
    I looked at the link and the list you posted is one of three. The header for the list you quoted:
    The top 10 highest-paying jobs/industries for Managers/ Assistant Managers are.
    As I evaluated the other lists I got the impression that only a select few or smaller portion of the society made above 50kphp. So I would be incline to agree with:

6. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    In the USA, the term “professional” is carefully applied to individuals receiving salaries as persons exempt from minimum wage or overtime, where strict rules are in place to protect common wage earners. Although companies would like to designate “everybody” as professionals for those purposes, in most cases the government only allows persons with degrees in medicine, law or science (engineering) to be considered professionals. Actually a call center employee who has a Bachelor is Science degree in electrical engineering and performed work in that field, such as level 2 or 3, might be considered professional. In the USA employers have a habit of designating non-degreed persons as “professionals” to avoid prying overtime and to make the employee “feel good” about working for less...in the USA, this makes engineering a highly prostituted profession. However, in more recent years the Dept of Labor has gone after such employers very severely. Bottom line is that, for so-called “engineers”, if one does not possess a 4 year BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (specifically that, not Bachelor of Arts fake engineering degree), the employer cannot pay you those crappy low wages like they can a true professional and you cannot consider yourself to be a professional. Regarding Filipinos coming to the US, Filipino nursing degrees are universally accepted at US Hospitals but nurses must pass the state board exams as RN to be professional. If they fail, they might pass the non-professional equivalent LPN, who are basically the same but who cannot give injections. Filipino engineering schools are simply not accepted by USA employers fir requisite degrees in engineering, even if they pass a state board PE exam, which a Filipino engineering course would leave them ill prepared to take. But Filipino medical degrees are highly respected as “professional” in the USA.

Learned Professional Exemption
    To qualify for the learned professional employee exemption, all of the following tests must be met:
    • The employee must be compensated on a salary or fee basis (as defined in the regulations) at a rate not less than $455* per week;
    • The employee’s primary duty must be the performance of work requiring advanced knowledge, defined as work which is predominantly intellectual in character and which includes work requiring the consistent exercise of discretion and judgment;
    • The advanced knowledge must be in a field of science or learning; and
    • The advanced knowledge must be customarily acquired by a prolonged course of specialized intellectual
    instruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    You are correct in that each individual lives within the space that surrounds them - how you use that space, 'furnish' it and accept it, is a personal matter. On that you cannot be called wrong - only be told by others that they have a different space within which they live.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Since we are talking about personal impressions, here is mine:

I had a guy clean my air conditioners today. (Yes there are go-getter types who work on a Sunday). He came with a helper and cleaned 2 split types and 1 exhaust fan for 1750 pesos. It took him 3 hours (9 am until noon) and he had to go to another appointment after lunch. Now that guy is just a janitor if you want to get down to the nuts and bolts of it. Yet he gave his helper 250 and pocketed 1500 pesos for half a day's work. I believe he can do 2 houses like that in a day or more if they only have one to clean. Lets say he does 2 a day, 6 days a week. That lad is making 3K * 6 * 4 = over 70 K a month for a cleaning job.

Then there are the 2 lads who clean my car for 400 pesos. Takes them a good hour and they seem to do about 6 cars a day. That's probably 2000 pesos a day for the "owner" lad and he likely pays 400 a day to his helper. So here is a carwash guy making about 50K a month.

There are many people around Dumaguete who make above 50K a month and the proof is in their lifestyle. Either they are buying those houses and SUVs with cash or financing them. Either way they need more than 50K to make all their payments.

Admittedly, the ones getting rich are the ones paying poor wages to their helpers but that's life everywhere. People don't get rich from their own labor, they get rich buy getting other people to do the work for them

9. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Hmmm, 3 hours to clean the filters on a few air conditioners? P1750?? Price seems very high. I could hire an electrician to wire in a split level air on for less than that, but, I have no issue with the guy getting the highest price possible (however, some foreigners here try to avoid the skin taxes when possible). You could hire any handyman in the Barangay to to this simple task for P500 to P1K and I do not tend to pay low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Really? I don't know what maintenance Dave had done, so I cannot speak to that. But I do know that we spent 850 peso for each of our split units in Tanjay and they cleaned the outdoor units, to include cleaning the coils, pressure check the lines, and internal check to include tightness of mechanical and electrical and general cleaning of dust and such (gecko eggs), blew out the drain lines as well as "cleaning the filters" on the indoor units.

1750 peso and 3 hours seems pretty reasonable to me, but I would not hire a Barangay "handyman" for the task.

Shawn