Dumaguete Info Search

Motorcycle accident in front of Black Pearl yesterday

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Gabrielle_K, Aug 29, 2013.

1. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    I would have to agree with you that there are many foreigners here that have no clue how to ride and handle the unorganized traffic; some seem to follow suite with the local drivers / riders and come unstuck like many that lay sprawled out on the roads here bleeding and dyeing.
    I was unfortunately on the National Highway on that day, it should be renamed (race trace and free for all fking idiots to kill themselves ), it was pure mayhem, some traveling at 20kph or less and some on the centre line doing at least 100kph or more, if I pulled out to overtake or move slightly to avoid some idiot they would be in heaven with their girlfriend, I don’t know if these people were already drunk before they were heading to the fiesta but it was a real mess.

2. brian ausie

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    my asawa videoed the aftermath of that accident, there should have been another 20 accidents between Duma and Dauin they way they were driving.

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    While it does irritate me as well, you do realize it was like this before we got here and will be like this after we leave right? If you can't handle driving here, and all the risks that come with it, then this might not be the place to settle down. :wink:

4. brian ausie

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    I can handle it well and mostly enjoy it, but I was referring in my first part that many foreigners could not drive a greasy stick up a dogs rectum, and they will die just like the locals if they mimic the locals driving skills, eg drunk driving and driving on the wrong side of the road no helmets and the list goes on.
    I have been driving a car here for over 4 years, driven around this whole Island, driven a bit in Cebu, trouble is they put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car here.:o

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Well at least they drive on the right side of the road. :wink:

I can handle the change while in a car, but driving a motorcycle on the left side just feels wrong. Thailand was scary for the first couple days.

6. brian ausie

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    no here and America they drive on the incorrect side of the road

7. brian ausie

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Au / NZ / GB / HK / and a few more drive on the correct side of the road

8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Did I say anything about the correct side of the road? But if we must go there I'd like to ask where the automobile was invented.

9. Vicmico

Vicmico DI Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Do enlighten us Wrye, but do yourself a favor: check Wikipedia first, OK?

Vicmico

10. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I actually kind of enjoy driving in Dumaguete. The main irritation is the very slow flow of traffic due to the huge number of tricycles. But if you are not in a hurry, driving in Dumaguete is rather relaxing, and often you can take an alternative route to avoid the worst traffic.

I also think, that average driving skills have improved at least a bit, since I came here first 9 years ago. Maybe its just me, but I think I see less motorcycles pulling out from side roads without looking their way, or driving without lights at night, or all these other things, that were quite common before.

On the other hand I also think, that as soon as you get outside the city limit and unto the countrys highways, the number of drivers, who drive irresponsibly fast, seems to have increased. So some caution is definitely warranted as soon as you get north of Sibulan or south of Bacong. And on a recent trip in july 2013, I observed the same thing on northern Mindanao. An increasing number of “maniacs” on the national highway outside the city limits, most of them driving pick-up trucks or vans, but apparently having the illusion, they were driving Ferraris or Porches instead.

As for blame, one of the worst things, which can happen here, is, that a child run in front of your vehicle, and you hit the child. You will for sure be held (financially) responsible for this. And unfortunately its very likely to happen, because so many uneducated parents let their children run around and play on the roads, even on national highways.