Dumaguete Info Search

Motorcycle accident in front of Black Pearl yesterday

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Gabrielle_K, Aug 29, 2013.

1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    For those in the right (and wrong) argument;

"Today, about 66.1% of the world's population live in right-hand traffic countries and 33.9% in left-hand traffic countries. About 72% of the world's total road distance carries traffic on the right and 28% on the left.[3]"

source;

Right- and left-hand traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So there is only right, and wrong!

:wink:

Larry

2. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    The right side of the road is the one that is determined to be the right side in the country in which you are driving!!

3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Pretty sure it was a german who built the first gasoline automobile. Thought I was going to say an American didn't ya? I guess if you want to go back to the horse/carriage it would make sense to ride/drive on the left (swords/guns being mainly wielded from the ride hand). You can check wiki if ya like.

4. Torilian

Torilian DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    On September 3rd, 1967, Sweden planned to switch from driving on the left side of the road to the right side. Known as “H Day,” the switch actually wasn’t as catastrophic as you might think, but there were some crazy traffic jams.

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=9559&stc=1&d=1377874805

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=9560&stc=1&d=1377874823

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=9561&stc=1&d=1377874854

Attached Files:

5. filmdude

filmdude Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was the guy in the accident and this is how it went down. I was leaving the black pearl and because there was so much traffic going to Bacong I was just sitting on my motorcycle waiting for a break in the traffic. A woman in a car stopped and motioned me to go ahead and cross make my left turn to head to town. besides that car stopping so did motorcycles on both sides of the car. as I crossed in front of the car I was looking to see there were no other motorcycles trying to pass the stopped car. It looked clear. there was a kid with his friend doing about 40 /50 km and hunkerd down lower than the profile of the car that had stopped for me. when I crossed in front of the car and was in my lane they T boned me just missing my leg. I don't remember getting hit and when I woke up there was a guy standing over me asking if I could hear him and was I OK. I wasn't. As I came around a little more I started to check myself out. My right knee is pretty swollen and even today different bruises seem to be coming to the surface. Some cuts most superficial had to stitch one on my hand to stop the bleeding but is ok today. Thank god I was wearing my helmut. Went to the police station and the kids mother said we should settle this by everybody paying for there own bike. I am bleeding all over and refused to go to the hospital so I asked the police officer some questions and then the boys father came in he is australian. his family brought him up to speed on what was going on. I then made this offer I said you will have to make my bike like it was before the accident and I would take care of my own medical bills. If they did not want to do this I would go to the hospital check in and then they would have those medical bills on top of the bike. I have to give credit to the boys father because he agreed to the settlement and went and got my bike that same day. they worked on it at Yamaha for 2 days and I got it back yesterday. They still have to fix other things when the parts come in and I'm confident they will. For those of you out there that say it's because his father was australian and thats why it was settled in my favor I would have to say you are wrong. when we were negoitiating I pointed out to the boys mother that the kid did not have a license he was not wearing a helmut he hit me in my lane when everybody else was stopped. Not to mention it wasn't my fault and was clearly his.The boys father was a real gentleman and kept his word now if I could just get this pain to stop.

6. nice_sherwood

nice_sherwood DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    good to hear your okay and the accident wasnt too bad. how i wish you can ask for a morphine shot though from a doctor then hopefully itll help you with your pain but i doubt u can get them there. it'll help u big time. glad to hear the other party involved is helping you with the costs because you dont see that much around too often :-).

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Thanks for filling us all in. This incident may help educate a few. I am glad that you made it through this as well as your bike. Things could have been a whole lot worse.

8. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Thanks for sharing your experience, and glad to hear you are sort of ok.

Its not the first time in Dumaguete, that a reckless or ignorant motorcycle driver has pulled out to overtake a vehicle, which has stopped or slowed down, without asking himself the very crucial question, WHY the vehicle in front did this? I personally had two "near misses", when I was about to make a left turn in my car, and motorcycles pulled out to overtake me at high speed, even though I clearly indicated left turn of course. Luckily I spotted them in time on both occations and were able to break and avoid a collission. And one of these instances happened at the boulevard actually, so pretty deja-vu to hear about this.

A bit of formal driving education would surely be benefitial in promoting simple awareness of the trafical situation. But I guess for now that is only a far and distant dream.....